so what's everyone's job?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel

Reaction score
Engine design. A lot in the way of integration into various customers as well as quality/manufacturability/working with component suppliers/etc.

Forensic Engineer. I take stuff apart to see why it failed (causing a fire or a water loss). Then I write a report saying whether it was a manufacturer's defect, installation error, or user abuse. Insurance companies then use the report to try to collect money (subrogate) from manufacturers/installers to offset the payment they make to the insured. Sometimes I have to go on fire scene investigations, and there is potential for testifying in court.

Aviation fueling. Design of fueling systems for commercial and military aviation facilities.

Design and Draw up plans for something that will not be built according to those plans
So you write the assembly instructions for Ikea furniture? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Project Manager/Designer and sometimes Engineer (small scale structural work). I'm not licensed in the state I live/work in, so I'm very careful about titles.

I'd say my work is 20% drafting (we have no dedicated drafters, just a designer and 2 engineers that know AutoCAD), 70% design, 5% project management, and 5% "whatever". Even when I do drafting, I'm usually exercising engineering judgement to a degree - it's usually left up to me to design connections etc, at least for the first draft.

I'm the "somebody else" in "that's somebody else's job".

My official title is Senior HVAC Engineer, although I haven't actually performed any detailed engineering work in close to 6 months.

My unofficial titles are:

Project Manager (here, do my job, and send it back to me to send to everyone else, thanks!)

Market Researcher (hey, give me a list of every company within 250 miles with 15MM in revenue and 1500+ employees, thanks!)

IT Systems Administrator (hey, Jim's phone won't work, the conf. rm internet won't work, I need a thingy to plug my stick thingys in, and my computer won't boot up, thanks!)

Web Designer (hey, we need to redesign our website to reflect a new division that will constitue 45% of our total revenues next year, can you do this by tomorrow? thanks!)

Maintenance Technician (hey, I need this whiteboard hung, and can you look over this punch list of things that are supposed to be completed, thanks!)

Forklift (hey, can you take this box downstairs, thanks!).

Last edited by a moderator:
I do site/civil, land development, public works, infrastructure rehab, etc. and everything that entails. We're a small firm, so I pretty much do my own drafting, research, reports, and that sorta stuff.

Mechanical Consultant, we are a small firm specializing in Heavy Industry, mainly my work is in piping systems, but Industrial throws a bit of everything at you (HVAC/Mech Design) and we also have a lot of maritime (dock work) and permitting work.

Right now, Structural Engineer (Concrete, Timber and Steel Buildings ). But I have varied expereince Bridge Engineering (Steel, Timber and Composite ), Civil/Municipal Engineering, Wastewater Engineering. and Transportation engineering in several past employers.

Glorified babysitter. Well, maybe not glorified.

That, and I'm currently involved in all the welding engineering functions for domestic new nuclear construction, e.g. writing welding procedures, reviewing specs, developing process parameters, installation planning for piping systems, steam turbines, structural modules, etc. Occasionally, I get to do some fun stuff, like play with robots, lasers, and equipment R&D. Most of my time is spent going back to the designer and asking "what the hell were you thinking?"

You see, what we're actually trying to do here is, we're trying to get a feel for how people spend their day at work... so, if you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?

Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.

Civil/Structural construction management. Currently working on a light-rail expansion project in Denver.

Back