Electrical machines,drives and power Systems -wildi

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PE blues

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there a difference between the international version of the book and the US version? The international version is almost 1/4 the price of the US edition.

My guess will be the formulas..it probably will have all the formulas based on the SI for international and US system of measurement for US book

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was buying references for my PE exam studies, I always went for the International versions. As you mentioned they were much less costly than buying new or even used US editions. I will say I was a bit skeptical when I bought my first one. Once I got it and the index matched up to the US version, I was content there weren't any notable differences. Even for grad school now, I usually pick up my own international version of the required course textbook for a fraction of the cost. Most of the time it is an exact match to the US version (sometimes the top cover may differ). One thing to keep in mind though, international editions are usually shipped from overseas so they take a good deal longer to arrive in the states than if you just bought from Amazon or something. And since they come from afar, they can also tend to show a bit of wear but nothing I would call actual damage. A good website that I use to find the best prices on books is Addall.com. Hope that helps.

My guess will be the formulas..it probably will have all the formulas based on the SI for international and US system of measurement for US book
I have not experienced this. If the book was originally published in the US, the international version will use English units in all the formulas. From what I gathered, the international edition just means it was reprinted and assigned a different ISBN number for distribution in countries other than the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not experienced this. If the book was originally published in the US, the international version will use English units in all the formulas. From what I gathered, the international edition just means it was reprinted and assigned a different ISBN number for distribution in countries other than the US.
Perfect thanks for the clarification

are there any certain sections of this book that are better/more important than others. I was able to obtain a PDF copy of this book and rather than print the whole thing, I was wondering if there were certain sections I should print. I also have the international edition of Power System Analysis - Grainger. I'm just trying to get some input on what I can use from the Wildi book to supplement the Grainger book. Thanks

Wildsoldier PE provided a good summary of what to look at in the Wildi book. See below.

Which chapters should I study on the Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems by Wildi?

Thank you

From Wildi....if i was you i study:

Chapter 1---show you how to use the per unit

Chapter 2 ---If you don't remember the basics of KVL, KCL etc.

Chapter 3, 4, 5....i barely touch it....is DC generators and motors...so no need to worry about those.

Chapter 7-12 ---needs to be studied....discussed power and transformers.---this is like 45% of the exam.

Chapter 13-15--needs to be studied....it discussed motors....when i study for the PE i concentrate on motors not generators....generators is the same thing but reverse.

Chapter 17---needs to be studied... synchronous motor.

Chapter 21--needs to be studied....power electronics....from power electronics you just need to know if the input wave look like this how would look the output wave.

Chapter 24- gives you an understanding of how the power is generated....i read it... interesting chapter.

Chapter 25 & 26- Transmission and distribution.....these are important chapters that needs to be studied....in fact there was a question in the real exam that i answer the question from one of those chapters.

Chapter 30 - Harmonics you at least need to know what cause it....what is a 2nd order 3rd order...etc. I wouldn't skip this one.

Those are the chapters that i studied from the Wildi book....Is a bunch of stuff to study but usually every chapter takes about a week....I prepare for 1 year and a half for the PE thats why i had time to read all those chapters. If you are taking it on april and you haven't study anything and starting right now...probably Wildi is not the way to go...probably you would need a refresher course that goes more fast paced.

Wildsoldier PE provided a good summary of what to look at in the Wildi book. See below.

Which chapters should I study on the Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems by Wildi?

Thank you

From Wildi....if i was you i study:

Chapter 1---show you how to use the per unit

Chapter 2 ---If you don't remember the basics of KVL, KCL etc.

Chapter 3, 4, 5....i barely touch it....is DC generators and motors...so no need to worry about those.

Chapter 7-12 ---needs to be studied....discussed power and transformers.---this is like 45% of the exam.

Chapter 13-15--needs to be studied....it discussed motors....when i study for the PE i concentrate on motors not generators....generators is the same thing but reverse.

Chapter 17---needs to be studied... synchronous motor.

Chapter 21--needs to be studied....power electronics....from power electronics you just need to know if the input wave look like this how would look the output wave.

Chapter 24- gives you an understanding of how the power is generated....i read it... interesting chapter.

Chapter 25 & 26- Transmission and distribution.....these are important chapters that needs to be studied....in fact there was a question in the real exam that i answer the question from one of those chapters.

Chapter 30 - Harmonics you at least need to know what cause it....what is a 2nd order 3rd order...etc. I wouldn't skip this one.

Those are the chapters that i studied from the Wildi book....Is a bunch of stuff to study but usually every chapter takes about a week....I prepare for 1 year and a half for the PE thats why i had time to read all those chapters. If you are taking it on april and you haven't study anything and starting right now...probably Wildi is not the way to go...probably you would need a refresher course that goes more fast paced.

LOL... I totally forgot that i wrote that!

Thanks for the reply Knightfox. I found that book for ~$35 on ebay from a local owner. Hopefully,it's not all torn and falling apart :)

Back