Best Review Class For Power Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggieman_09

Reaction score
I have looked at testmasters and Kaplan for the Power exam. Any thoughts on which is better?

I have heard good things about testmasters if you live in a city where it is offered. Not as many good things about Kaplan. I took (and would recommend) SchoolofPE. Search on the board, there are lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of discussion on which provider is the best.

I did not use either but, similiar to cupojoe, I have heard good things about Testmasters but not so much in regards to Kaplan's book at least. I used Georgia Tech's course and was very pleased. I allowed myself about 2.5 months to complete it and then proceeded to work sample tests (Complex Imaginary, Spin Up, NCEES) in conjunction with talking to EB forum members. Helped me pass April 2014 test.

I like Georgia Tech's review class. However I wish they make some minor changes on the transient/fault materials...

I just signed up for the GA Tech review classes. Waiting for the binder to be mailed to me before I start.

In the meantime, I have already completed the first 40 questions of the NCEES practice problems and I am half way done with chapter 3 (completed 1 and 2) of the Spin-up exams. So I feel I'm off to a good start. I am taking the April 2015 exam.

I just signed up for the GA Tech review classes. Waiting for the binder to be mailed to me before I start.

In the meantime, I have already completed the first 40 questions of the NCEES practice problems and I am half way done with chapter 3 (completed 1 and 2) of the Spin-up exams. So I feel I'm off to a good start. I am taking the April 2015 exam.
cool. Also Ga Tech focus on the NCEES sample exam as well.....with solutions

For those who took the GA Tech course, are the notes a good resource to use during the exam? Do they have a good amount of problems to work in each topic? Thanks

Is there an electronic copy of the GA Tech course notes? Is it allowed to be distributed or restricted by copyrights? If allowed, do you guys mind sharing it?

Is there an electronic copy of the GA Tech course notes? Is it allowed to be distributed or restricted by copyrights? If allowed, do you guys mind sharing it?
Negative. That is copyrighted material provided by GA Tech when you register for the course.

As far as I know there is no official electronic copy. Because of possible copyright issues I would be leery of electronically transmitting that much material. A page here and there might be understandable. Plus, unless you view the lecture, I don't think you get the full benefit of the course. I actually ended up personalizing the GA Tech notes. I used their way of organizing but supplemented their material with internet notes and sample test problems. Ended up bringing an extra 3 ring binder along with the one from GA Tech. That along with various reference books and my cheat sheet comprised most of what I carried into the test. The reorganization process also reinforced my learning of the material. Just my opinion based on what worked for me. Not to be presumptious, but I can understand if the cost (appx. $1000) is an issue. However, IMHO, it's the best value out there and worth the money.

Negative. That is copyrighted material provided by GA Tech when you register for the course.
What Fox said, and in a much more consise way.

Just my opinion based on what worked for me. Not to be presumptious, but I can understand if the cost (appx. $1000) is an issue. However, IMHO, it's the best value out there and worth the money.

Truth....though I can't speak about GA Tech class, but to prep classes in general, worth the money if you are willing to put in the time to study. Plus if you don't pass the exam the first time through you are going to drop another 300 to retake the exam (maybe more depending on state), plus another 150 for a hotel room, plus driving, plus another day off work, plus all the additional time studying, plus you will likely go ahead and take a course. IMHO 1k to take a course and knock out the exam is more than worth it, both financially and emotionally.

In my opinion, the Ga Tech course is definitely worth the money. It worked for me as I passed the exam first time after being out of school for 20+ years. But I put in the time. There is a lot to power. You've seen the NCEES exam breakdown so I'll say no more. I did take the binder into the exam but I ripped it apart so that it worked for me. Plus, I added a lot just to make the materials I had for like topics all in one place. It's December so for those looking at April you have plenty of time. I easily put in 200+ hours getting ready for the exam so like I said you have time. Don't wait until March.

Happy Thanksgiving and good luck,

Bruno

Back