HVAC controls

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
We are a small (2-3 man) HVAC consulting firm and are thinking about trying to get into controls design and installation. Problem is we dont have any real experience besides what little involvment we have with vendors when a control system is requested on our jobs. Does anybody have any advice on how to get started? We are all capable and willing to learn. Any advice on why not to do this

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to get together with Honeywell etc. to get their standard specs and modify them. It is good to have a working relationship with controls contractor when you specify things.

We often have consultants doing design for us and most of them produce garbage control specs and after the project I end up hiring the controls contractor to make it right. I've even seen point lists in specs that are empty and a point list without out points is pointless :) We now use the Honeywell WEBX spec tha ti modified to our needs to give to the consultants (all our newer systems have Honeywell , I work for a City). I also make my own point lists and control sequences when I manage the project. It really is horrible what consultants deliver (which they often just copy & paste from somewhere else and don't understand).

But the local Honeywell guy is my go-to guy when I need information and he is happy to help since it makes his life easier later on.

You should learn about sensors and which you want to specify. In my experience have as many sensors as possible, it helps trouble-shooting and make the system perform more efficiently.

I see you are in Tennessee. Have you talked to the Trane office in Knoxville?

They have a guy there that is an expert on controls. He may be able to help

you out. His name is Steve Cole.

Honeywell could be a good resource.

JCI has contractor specific controls classes/seminars that you can attend (somewhat pricey, but you're looking for valuable knowledge) and they will cover anything and everything related. What I mean by this, is that people that work for JCI take these classes as well. Get a hold of your local JCI rep and request a copy of the annual schedule (since 2012 is coming up).

A substantial amount of my work is “Engineering Controls” with the focus on using ventilation as a tool to reduce airborne particulate levels, so I may be able to add some value to the conversation.

You may want to consider aligning yourself with a good UL certified panel builder. You can select the major equipment and write the functional design specification. Either you or they can develop the P&ID and from there the panel shop will work to select the critical components, develop the electrical prints and build the control enclosure.

Most companies require the control enclosure to be UL508 certified anyway, and this approach will allow you to get some hands on experience with very little risk.

Good luck

Tim

Back