NC PE Exam Raleigh

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamn185 PE

Reaction score
Hi - anyone have suggestions as to a good hotel to stay at in Raleigh before the PE exam on April 17th, with respect to value and proximity to the McKimmon Center. I am not familiar with the area so any comments are appreciated!

Hi - anyone have suggestions as to a good hotel to stay at in Raleigh before the PE exam on April 17th, with respect to value and proximity to the McKimmon Center. I am not familiar with the area so any comments are appreciated!
I'll be taking the exam there too and I live in Raleigh. I also went to NC State, which is where the McKimmon Center is. There are a bunch of hotels right around NC State so I would just choose one of those. There is a pretty nice Holiday Inn Express right off of I-40 that is fairly new and has great rates.

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/raleigh/rdugs/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-ex-_-USEN-_-rdugs

Good luck!

Thanks a lot. Good luck to you too. Is this your first time taking the exam? What discipline?

I used live in Raleigh for a while, I used to live of Hillsborough St.

There are plenty of hotels along Hillsborough St. But stay away from Downtown location, as **** Hillsborough St does get crowded during rush and more lights!

Use priceline and name your price...you can get better rate that way

I would stay either locations below. I would take Western Blvd to get to the test location. Western Blvd tends to be less traffic.

(west side)

Hyatt Place Raleigh West

710 Corporate Center Dr
Raleigh, NC 27607

or

Wingate by Wyndham State Arena Raleigh/Cary
6115 Corporate Ridge Rd
Raleigh, NC 27607

or

off Gorman St (south side of the exam place)

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Raleigh Southwest
3741 Thistledown Dr
Raleigh, NC 27606

Last edited by a moderator:
I stayed at La Quinta next to Crabtree Mall and it's only about 10 minutes tops from the McKimmon Center.

La Quinta Inn & Suites Raleigh Crabtree

2211 Summit Park Ln.

Raleigh, NC 27612

Since I'm a repeat test taker I can give you some recommendations on good places to eat. The Red Monkey Tavern and Cheesecake Factory at Crabtree Mall is good. After I took my PE exam last year we wanted something a bit less crowded so we drove basically around the corner from McKimmon Center to El Cerro which was really good if you like Mexican food. It was quiet and laid back which is what I really needed after the big quiz. The address to El Cerro's is:

2217 Avent Ferry Rd
Raleigh, NC 27606

Hope this helps. Good luck on your exam!

I stayed at La Quinta next to Crabtree Mall and it's only about 10 minutes tops from the McKimmon Center.

2211 Summit Park Ln.

Raleigh, NC 27612

Since I'm a repeat test taker I can give you some recommendations on good places to eat. The Red Monkey Tavern and Cheesecake Factory at Crabtree Mall is good. After I took my PE exam last year we wanted something a bit less crowded so we drove basically around the corner from McKimmon Center to El Cerro which was really good if you like Mexican food. It was quiet and laid back which is what I really needed after the big quiz. The address to El Cerro's is:

2217 Avent Ferry Rd
Raleigh, NC 27606

good but I still avoid 440 in the AM rush. However thing might change since last time I am down there. I would avoid the mail at all cost LOL

As for food, there are plenty of joints to eat around NCSU area, particular in Cameron Village, Peace St, also by Seaboard Ave..

Cameron Village Shopping Center

1900 Cameron St
Raleigh, NC 27605

Last edited by a moderator:

2211 Summit Park Ln.

Raleigh, NC 27612

2217 Avent Ferry Rd
Raleigh, NC 27606

good but I still avoid 440 in the AM rush. However thing might change since I drive 440 morning rush. I would avoid the mail at all cost LOL

As for food, there are plenty of joints to eat around NCSU area, particular in Cameron Village, Peace St, also by Seaboard Ave..

1900 Cameron St
Raleigh, NC 27605

I see your point. 440 seemed pretty tame but I guess that's because I'm used to the traffic in Charlotte. In my humble opinion, I strongly believe that the PE exam should also be offered in Charlotte. This might be a good topic for a new thread.

2211 Summit Park Ln.

Raleigh, NC 27612

2217 Avent Ferry Rd
Raleigh, NC 27606

good but I still avoid 440 in the AM rush. However thing might change since I drive 440 morning rush. I would avoid the mail at all cost LOL

1900 Cameron St
Raleigh, NC 27605

I see your point. 440 seemed pretty tame but I guess that's because I'm used to the traffic in Charlotte. In my humble opinion, I strongly believe that the PE exam should also be offered in Charlotte. This might be a good topic for a new thread.
oh ya ..Queen City traffic does suck but nothing to compared to DC :) But I am glad I am not driving.

Good luck both of you....I missed Raleigh!

2211 Summit Park Ln.

Raleigh, NC 27612

2217 Avent Ferry Rd
Raleigh, NC 27606

1900 Cameron St
Raleigh, NC 27605

oh ya ..Queen City traffic does suck but nothing to compared to DC :) But I am glad I am not driving.

Good luck both of you....I missed Raleigh!

You got that right!!!

I'm taking the Chemical PE for the first (and hopefully only) time. I'm admittedly a bit anxious at this point - despite reviewing and studying it seems like there's no way to fully prepare for it. Topics keep popping up that I haven't thought about in quite some time. Plus, practically everyone above me in my company knows I'm taking it so... I'm sure I'm not alone there. Sorry, I digress...

I'm taking the Chemical PE for the first (and hopefully only) time. I'm admittedly a bit anxious at this point - despite reviewing and studying it seems like there's no way to fully prepare for it. Topics keep popping up that I haven't thought about in quite some time. Plus, practically everyone above me in my company knows I'm taking it so... I'm sure I'm not alone there. Sorry, I digress...

Nope, you aren't the only one. I'm feeling very overwhelmed as well but little by little I feel myself becoming better prepared. Just keep at it through these last few weeks and then try to relax for the last couple of days to get yourself calm and ready to take on the test with a clear head. Good luck man!

after you guys done with exam, go rewards yourself at Big Ed's City Market restaurant if you are not around :) tasty

Thanks man. Good luck to you too.

Whar are your plans for bringing in references?
Just a backpack I think. I'm not planning on bringing too many books in. You?
I'm kind of wondering if less is better as well at this point. I've got lots of stuff that I could potentially bring but am now wondering if 2 or 3 core books would be sufficient. Like do I really need expanded steam tables in US and SI units (both separate books) or are the ones in the review manual sufficient. People say the FE manual can be useful, but is it worth bringing vs. the time it might take to go through it? Do I go overboard, bring a lot and hope not to use them, or will that just slow me down because I'll be tempted to search through them unnecessarily. Etc etc.

Thanks man. Good luck to you too.

Whar are your plans for bringing in references?
Just a backpack I think. I'm not planning on bringing too many books in. You?
I'm kind of wondering if less is better as well at this point. I've got lots of stuff that I could potentially bring but am now wondering if 2 or 3 core books would be sufficient. Like do I really need expanded steam tables in US and SI units (both separate books) or are the ones in the review manual sufficient. People say the FE manual can be useful, but is it worth bringing vs. the time it might take to go through it? Do I go overboard, bring a lot and hope not to use them, or will that just slow me down because I'll be tempted to search through them unnecessarily. Etc etc.
I'm definitely banking on just bringing in the core books and not spending so much time going through tons of materials.

Have you read the threads on here where people are actually planning to bring rolling bookshelves to the exam?

I'll probably end up with more than I'll use but nothing that would require bookshelves.

Back