Traffic Signal Design - Is it Civil or Traffic in California? Confused!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rejectedbytexas

Reaction score
Look at Civil PE licensure in California, I have a big question mark about whether my signal design experience counts for a Civil application. I did that most of the past several years. Can any CA PE share thoughts or experiences on this?
Any tips for how should I word my experience record to avoid leading reviewers to get me to Traffic? Thanks!!

My work included PS&E for strain pole, pedestrian signal pole, pole foundation depth calc, push button, signal head, span wire/mast arm, loop detector, pull box, controller cabinet, meter pole, conduit, luminaires... Not signal timing, or LOS analysis or signal warrant study.

Per CA board FAQ: "Engineering work such as traffic periodicity, street and highway capacity studies, traffic forecasting, signal placement and timing, pavement striping, parking lot layout, and other related items, are traffic engineering and do not count as civil engineering work experience. Other areas of engineering such as geometric studies which are preliminary to the design of fixed works, e.g., the planning of intersection layouts and turnouts, may be used as experience credit for either civil engineering or traffic engineering."

Thankfully
Sam

In the states where I am licensed, designing traffic signals is nothing but civil experience. CA seems to think traffic/transportation engineering involves less scientifically based stuff than other civil subject. Look at which depth subject has the largest populations of civil engineers...

There is a lot of overlap between Traffic and Transportation. You need to be creative (don't lie, just be creative ;) ) with your experience wording so it emphasises the Transpo side of the work, and less of the Traffic side. Good luck.

Sam,

If you submit an application for Civil Engineer licensure, that is what you will be reviewed for. That being said, if the review reveals that you are lacking civil engineering experience, the reviewer may observe that your experience is leaning more towards the traffic engineering side of things.

In California, anything that you are working on that would fall under the definition of civil engineering would be considered. You mentioned pole foundations, etc. Anything that is site-specific for the design to work should apply to the civil engineering side.

Back