REVIEW MATERIALS FOR CONSTRUCTION AM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayliss

Reaction score
ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS ON STUDY MATERIALS FOR THE CONSTRUCTION BREADTH SECTION?

I FAILED THE TEST IN OCTOBER AND ONE OF THE SECTIONS I HAD MORE PROBLEMS WAS CONSTRUCTION.

I WENT TO THE EXAM WITH THE CERM AND SOME ADDITIONAL NOTES ON THIS TOPIC, BUT IT WAS NOT ENOUGH.

THERE WERE QUESTIONS ON THE EXAM ABOUT FORMWORK FOR EXAMPLE THAT I COULDN'T REALLY ANSWER, AND I KNOW THEY WERE PROBABLY SUPER EASY :(

IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW....

THANKS

LOL, sorry I was not shouting.... I am taking the geotec module in the afternoon, but I need to have additional reference material for the construction breadth section in the morning since I didn't do good in october on that part..

Surprisingly the CERM really does have all you need for the morning exam, unfortunately it's not all so easy to find. I would suggest really getting more familiar with everything within the CERM as several of the "construction" type things weren't moved into the construction section, but rather are still found in their original (pre-11th edition) location. For example, a temporary construction structure is still a structure and can be found in the structure section and survey layout of roadways is in the transportation section. This is because it's easier to explain the temporary and the constructibility of something in it's "native" context instead of moving it simply because it's "construction." Another aspect of construction that makes it a little more challenging is the differing lingo from region to region. Just because you know of something (and can't find it in the CERM) by it's local name doesn't mean it's not in the CERM under different terminology.

I remember finding dozens of these types of things back when I was reading through the CERM during my study period. The best way to find them is to become that much more familiar with the book. For me, it was more important to be able to find the sections and equations quickly instead of only relying on the index or table of contents. To do this, I literally read the CERM from cover to cover, twice. And I tabbed anything I felt would be helpful in the process. Then I took a practice exam to find where my weaknesses were, and re-read those sections of the CERM again.

I'm aware of a couple other books that are more construction specific (such as the Ruwan book), but I've heard most of them dive into a level too deep for the morning breadth or are presented in a way that doesn't make sense or makes it harder to understand.

ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS ON STUDY MATERIALS FOR THE CONSTRUCTION BREADTH SECTION?

I FAILED THE TEST IN OCTOBER AND ONE OF THE SECTIONS I HAD MORE PROBLEMS WAS CONSTRUCTION.

I WENT TO THE EXAM WITH THE CERM AND SOME ADDITIONAL NOTES ON THIS TOPIC, BUT IT WAS NOT ENOUGH.

THERE WERE QUESTIONS ON THE EXAM ABOUT FORMWORK FOR EXAMPLE THAT I COULDN'T REALLY ANSWER, AND I KNOW THEY WERE PROBABLY SUPER EASY :(

IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW....

THANKS
Hi i have some construction notes if you are interested Email me at [email protected]

Try this. It is probably more than you need to study, but the book is cheap and you can read it in a day or two.

/>http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Professional-Engineer-Construction-module/dp/0972865764/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331192542&sr=1-1

Note that it is a bit frustrating to go through because there are a bunch of grammar mistakes etc etc. But try to look past them, and this should do the trick for you.

Good luck!

...... To do this, I literally read the CERM from cover to cover, twice......
Yikes! I'm sure you passed but I barely find time to work an hours worth of problems each day much less read the CERM. And to read it twice?
Yep, I read it twice. However, I didn't do any of the the 6min solutions type questions. I only did the NCEES practice exam 3 times (once at the beginning to see where I stood, a second time after reading the CERM to see where I needed to refine my studies, and then a third time once I finished the CERM for the 2nd time).

Yeah, I'm finding most of the 6 min solutions to be a waste of time. Some take much longer than 6 minutes, especially compared to the NCEES problems. I am also finding problems that do not fall within the scope of the NCEES exam syllabus. So I might just forget them

thanks,

Jason

Back