PE Mechanical Cut Score

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preppiejack

Reaction score
I am in Maryland, and I failed the Mechanical Systems and Materials exam. My diagnostic was 47/80. Does anyone know how close I was? And did anyone else who failed have a higher score. Based on historical cut scores, I am thinking that I may have missed it by a single question for this exam type. You feedback is appreciated.

If i would make a guess, and it is just a guess since I took the test in April. Historically the break is around 52 or 53 out of 80.

The label of your thread will prevent most of the veteran type people from opening your thread to even see your question. Trying to determine a cut score is a waste of brain cells that could be better spent reviewing the diagnostic sheet to learn where your weaknesses are try to focus your studying accordingly. and that is the nice way to put it.

The label of your thread will prevent most of the veteran type people from opening your thread to even see your question. Trying to determine a cut score is a waste of brain cells that could be better spent reviewing the diagnostic sheet to learn where your weaknesses are try to focus your studying accordingly. and that is the nice way to put it.
+1

43/80 HVAC April 12 Fail

T/F Oct 12 Pass

56/80 typical average with ranges from 54-80 depending on what I have read in E/B. For what it is worth, I changed to the T/F specialty, but studied all three areas for the OCT 12 exam as well as working the NCEES sample exam several times. It seemed to me that all three specialty areas appear on the afternoon portions. I also took the last week off work prior to the test for a final review of all material. Good Luck!

43/80 HVAC April 12 Fail

T/F Oct 12 Pass

56/80 typical average with ranges from 54-80 depending on what I have read in E/B. For what it is worth, I changed to the T/F specialty, but studied all three areas for the OCT 12 exam as well as working the NCEES sample exam several times. It seemed to me that all three specialty areas appear on the afternoon portions. I also took the last week off work prior to the test for a final review of all material. Good Luck!
I meant 54 to 58 not 54 to 80......

43/80 HVAC April 12 Fail

T/F Oct 12 Pass

It seemed to me that all three specialty areas appear on the afternoon portions.
Don't you mean all areas are on the morning portion? I took Mech Systems and materials and the afternoon was all related to that. The morning had some HVAC and T/F related questions in addition to MS/Mats.

43/80 HVAC April 12 Fail

T/F Oct 12 Pass

It seemed to me that all three specialty areas appear on the afternoon portions.
Don't you mean all areas are on the morning portion? I took Mech Systems and materials and the afternoon was all related to that. The morning had some HVAC and T/F related questions in addition to MS/Mats.
I encountered problems from all three specialty areas on the afternoon session.

Studying all three 6MS for mech was next on my list of studying for this exam, but never got to it. I think it would have made things easier. 6MS was great for finding niche problems that weren't in the MERM and NCEES stuff, they were also harder then exam questions without being so hard that you wouldn't need it on exam.

Studying all three 6MS for mech was next on my list of studying for this exam, but never got to it. I think it would have made things easier. 6MS was great for finding niche problems that weren't in the MERM and NCEES stuff, they were also harder then exam questions without being so hard that you wouldn't need it on exam.
Yea, I noticed that the MERM had multiple problems that it took over an hour to complete. While this is a good exercise if you have all the time in the world, it is not practical for limited study time. I found that James Kamm's practice problems and NCEES sample problems were much closer to the actual exam questions than the MERM. I was thinking about the 6MS, but I barely had time to cover the material that I already had.

Jack you must be pretty close to the cut score. Typically for mechanical material and system thats the borderline. When I missed on April 11, I got 45/80. A good way of finding the score and percentage is to have Texas result. They provide percentage and number of correct/incorret answers. Somebody here mentioned 43/80 was 68%. I figured out mine was 69%. Not sure whether each state has the same cut score. Last but not the least I request for mannual check and got the same result. I wish I could spend that many for :40oz: so that I could forget the score. Well there is always next time.

Yea, I noticed that the MERM had multiple problems that it took over an hour to complete. While this is a good exercise if you have all the time in the world, it is not practical for limited study time. I found that James Kamm's practice problems and NCEES sample problems were much closer to the actual exam questions than the MERM. I was thinking about the 6MS, but I barely had time to cover the material that I already had.
I did the same and I did pass, I skipped almost all of the hour problems in MERM unless they were like the ones with like 6 or 7 parts, and each part only took like 5 to 10 minutes, like some of pump questions ones.

Back