Army picks new vehicle to replace the HMMV

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They would probably cut them in half and run over them with a tank before they sell them to us because we are stupid and might get hurt.

The guys who have to drive them up to drill always look SUPER thrilled and comfortable when we pass them on the interstate.

Oh, no, wait. Forget that. They look miserable, because they seem to top out at 60 and have no air conditioning and it's a motherloving humvee.

Oh, no, wait. Forget that. They look miserable, because they seem to top out at 60 and have no air conditioning....

This is my current car so I guess other than the fact that it's indestructible, not much of an improvement.

Oh, no, wait. Forget that. They look miserable, because they seem to top out at 60 and have no air conditioning....

This is my current car so I guess other than the fact that it's indestructible, not much of an improvement.

not indestructible, that's probably part of why they were looking to replace them... not that anything is REALLY indestructible, but the HMMWV had to have several reinforcements added through out the desert war era to address the kind of war they were facing. I can remember several stories of injuries and casualties that were caused because the Soldiers didn't have one with the reinforcements in place. I would be interested in the specs of the replacement option that was chosen...

Last edited by a moderator:
At least you wouldn't have to pin up the roof though Mike? Then again you could probably afford a new roof with that you'll pay for gas for a couple months...

If I could get one for about 5K I would buy one, they are not super comfortable but they would be fun to drive up I-70 in the winter time...

My issue with them is that they are just so **** unreliable mechanically. We drove them as our primary fleet in Iraq before the proliferation of MRAPs, which are a billion times better combat vehicles. My poor maintenance section had to run 24 hour ops just to keep my company's OR rate over 80% so we could field a strong enough fighting force and meet our mission demand without violating go / no go criteria. You could pretty much guarantee that on any given day, there'd be a hummer in one of the bays with a broken CV joint or a broken axle or a dead transmission or a missing air intake manifold. You name it, something on several of them was broken, had failed, or just simply missing.

Back