Internship count as experience?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom650

Reaction score
My College had a co-op/internship program that allowed me to work in my field while I was in school as an intern. I was wondering if this counts towards the 4 years of experience that I'll need to take my PE being as I was still in school during that period. I'm mainly looking to take my PE in DE and was wondering if anyone else did this.

Thanks guys!

In CO, the answer is typically no, but I believe there are exceptions to this. Here, CO considers your bachelor's degree worth 4 years towards your 8 year requirement. They don't count summer internships, nor do they count any extra time if it takes you 5 years to get your degree. I don't know how they would count your time if you were a part time student, or how they treat a 6mo+ internship/co-op.

Call your state board for clarification. They are always willing to answer any questions.

Hey domo,

I hope all is well. The short answer is No. Delaware requires their applicants to submit 4 years of verifiable experience to be eligible for the exam. Of this 4 years, an applicant can claim 1 or 2 years of equivalent experience if they hold a Masters or PhD in engineering. However, if they hold a job during this post graduate work, they can either claim the Degree as experience or the work as experience, not both. Here is a link explaining this is, hope it helps, take care!

/>https://www.dape.org/static/howtoapppe.asp

The counted my co-op (since it was a mandatory part of my program) and my master degree in Illinois as experience.

They only counted my master degree in Kentucky as experience.

Thanks all!

I sent a email to drape just to confirm as the work was a part of my program (mandatory) and counted as credits towards my degree. I only have my B.S. as well so I can't claim the post grad experience. I don't think that it will be accepted but figured it couldn't hurt to send a quick email. Either way it helped me get my current job so I won't be disappointed if it doesn't count.

Back