Surveying Exam - Online Review Course Advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am preparing for the April 2014 California Civil Surveying Exam. I am looking for a good online review course that I can use to supplement my studies. Can anyone recommend any of the following courses? If you have used any of these resources (or any other resources), please let me know your thoughts.

1. ppi2pass: CA Civil Surveying Live Online Review Course

2. Dr. Mansour's Surveying Problem Solving Worshop

3. Irvine Institute of Technology: Engineering Surveying Live off-site Web Seminar

I used Hiner's manual and his online Seismic review course and felt that both really helped me pass the seismic exam. Is there anything comparable for the surveying exam?

I took the Irvine Institute of Technology Live Off-Site Web Seminar but didn't pass the exam. It provided a thorough overview of the material covered in the exam but didn't prepare me for the speed at which is needed to complete the exam. I didn't feel as if there were any questions I couldn't answer but I didn't have enough time. The instructor is good but the textbook for the class doesn't have enough practice problems to solve.

I had a coworker who did self study for the October 2012 surveying exam and passed. She used the Mansour Surveying Pracitce Exams and Solutions book. She also used Surveying Principles for Civil Engineers by Cuomo, Civil Surveying Sample Exams by Boniface and Surveying Practice Problems by Nelson. She spent her time working as many problems as she could to prepare for the exam.

Good to hear that the Hiner review course worked out for you. I'm planning on taking it as preparation for the April exam.

I used Mansour's dvd's, notes, and problem/solution manual. I found them to be very useful for this test.

I have heard that the Irvine Institute class is very good also.

SchoolofPE also has an online weekend class for both. The seismic was pretty good and survey was "meh". I did pass with some supplemental studying.

I did some of Mansour practice test and problems and I actually really liked the course books for SchoolofPE.

Surveying Principles for Civil Engineers by Paul A. Cuomo, PLS

Seismic Design of Building Structures, 10th Edtion by Michael R. Lindeburg, PE, and Kurt M. McMullin, PE.

You should check out Civil PE Surveying Review too. www.civilpesurveyingreview.com. I took Hiner for Seismic also and I can tell you the manual is much smaller than Hiner's but in Survey, there is only a handful of formulas you need. The rest is understanding concepts and practicing problems. The timed practice tests are probably their best resource, very similar to how the real thing is. FYI

I am preparing for the April 2014 California Civil Surveying Exam. I am looking for a good online review course that I can use to supplement my studies. Can anyone recommend any of the following courses? If you have used any of these resources (or any other resources), please let me know your thoughts.

1. ppi2pass: CA Civil Surveying Live Online Review Course

2. Dr. Mansour's Surveying Problem Solving Worshop

3. Irvine Institute of Technology: Engineering Surveying Live off-site Web Seminar

I used Hiner's manual and his online Seismic review course and felt that both really helped me pass the seismic exam. Is there anything comparable for the surveying exam?

You should check out Civil PE Surveying Review too. www.civilpesurveyingreview.com. I took Hiner for Seismic also and I can tell you the manual is much smaller than Hiner's but in Survey, there is only a handful of formulas you need. The rest is understanding concepts and practicing problems. The timed practice tests are probably their best resource, very similar to how the real thing is. FYI
I passed the surveying exam and you can too. I think that the computer-based time (CBT) practice tests and the videos really help. The course offered by http://www.civilpesurveyingreview.com/ was really helpful to me, the CBT tests help by putting the pressure on, similar to what one would experience in the exam.

With the CBT and the previous scantron method...you have enough time to answer the problems, not necessarily to solve the problems. Keep this in mind with your studies and do as many of the CBT tests that you can.

Back