Indeterminate Structure analysis for PM Structures

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DM79

Reaction score
Hello Friends please help.

I was referring to the Structural Analysis I & II chapters in the CERM. Was overwhelmed as did not understand the methods for indeterminate structures. Do we need to know these methods or it is too much from the exam point of view.

Also is there a good book which would help understand these methods more easily.

Please help.

I have not taken the PE and am not familiar with if you need to know all the methods, but if I were given a choice for an indeterminate structure, I would use moment distribution in most cases. It's in the easiest and fastest. Understanding slope deflection is probably a good thing too. I probably wouldn't mess with the flexibility method. It's easy, if the structure is simple, but moment distribution is easier IMO.

I can state with almost near certainty that the Structural Analysis II chapter is unnecessary studying for the PE. I am assuming, if you are overwhelmed with Structural topics/concepts, that STR is NOT your depth area. Concentrate on Statics, Strength of Materials, basic determinate structural analysis.

I was a bit overwhelmed by it too but only because I decided not to spend too much time on it.

Do we need to know these methods or it is too much from the exam point of view.

Also is there a good book which would help understand these methods more easily.
Yes, determinate and indeterminate structures will account for roughly 1/8th of the afternoon test. I would look for a good structural analysis book if you're having trouble understanding the CERM.

6b8c71ab9fdad57fa1dc8170459533c0.336x252x126.gif

Back