Chemical PE Reference Book Options

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2bsss

Reaction score
What is everybody using as their reference/study book for the chemical PE? When I took the PE last year I used the Lindeburg book. It was alright but I was very disappointed in the lack of depth in mass transfer/distillation, chemical engineering thermodynamics, and kinetics. I don't have a need for a new reference manual; I was just curious to see if there were any new good books out there. One of my co-workers has an older version PPI book (I think 5th edition) that seems to be a lot better in the "core" chemical engineering topics than the 6th edition I have.

I just supplemented with my college textbooks on those subjects. I found the lindeburg book rather helpful.

If you're planning on taking a PE refresher course (in your case, maybe not Testmasters), then I'd recommend bringing the course materials to the exam and tabbing the relevant sections/formulas/tables.

I found the most recent edition of Perry's Handbook helpful for some of the exam questions this April. Just make sure to take the time to familiarize yourself with the index and the different sections.

One reference book you will not need is the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. My refresher course instructor had said that most of his students brought the CRC, but I never used it even once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back