is CA survey exam open book?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brom

Reaction score
PE exam is open book, meaning you can bring as many books/reference as you like. Is it like that also for CA Special Survey exam?

I was given a copy of a book by Resa Malahati dated 2006, is this still good or should i buy the latest version? I plan on buying other surveying books but not sure if i need to buy latest Malahati book.

PE exam is open book, meaning you can bring as many books/reference as you like. Is it like that also for CA Special Survey exam?

I was given a copy of a book by Resa Malahati dated 2006, is this still good or should i buy the latest version? I plan on buying other surveying books but not sure if i need to buy latest Malahati book.

It is open book. But I get scared when I hear "bring as many books/reference as you like". You should aim to know your stuff so well that you refer to one, maybe two, references during the exam.

Survey principles, more or less, do not "age" so you should be fine with your 2006 book. But also try to obtain other study resources/problems for diversity. Also, I am not sure how much the exam tests on newer survey techniques like GIS/GPS but that would be the only exception to my not aging comment so make sure you have an understanding of the latest techniques if the exam does, in fact, test on them.

Good luck.

It is open book. But I get scared when I hear "bring as many books/reference as you like". You should aim to know your stuff so well that you refer to one, maybe two, references during the exam.

Survey principles, more or less, do not "age" so you should be fine with your 2006 book. But also try to obtain other study resources/problems for diversity. Also, I am not sure how much the exam tests on newer survey techniques like GIS/GPS but that would be the only exception to my not aging comment so make sure you have an understanding of the latest techniques if the exam does, in fact, test on them.

Good luck.

Truer word have never been spoken (maybe a bit of an exaggeration) . Ptatohed is right, you need to know your stuff. If you don't, you won't pass. You do not have time to figure problems out you don't know. You have time to look up formulas that you already know where they are and how to use them and that about it. You could bring a some practice test but you would have to know where the problems are when you need them. Because you will be crunched for time.

Great advice guys. All I can add is that these tests are a test of time management as well as knowledge. For example, between all 3 exams, I knew Survey inside and out. The questions weren't the enemy, the clock was. I feel that if I didn't know my material, there's no way I would have passed. Although I read every question, I only had enough time to knock out the easy and medium questions.

Is the seismic exam also open book?

Yes sir. While it used to be "as much as you can carry in one trip" (when it was pencil/scantron), I believe it is now "one box" (CBT center).

I can verify this. There was a girl at my prometric testing center that had THREE banker boxes full of references for her test and the proctor told her she was only allowed one box full of references. This was during the most recent Oct 2014 exam cycle.

I can carry my materials in my hand so it's a bit crazy to see someone with three boxes worth of material!

The Candidate Information Bulletin (CIB) provided on the Prometric website and available to all candidates clearly explains that only the equivalent of 1 bankers box full of references is allowed. Anyone showing up with more, like 3 boxes is just not reading the instructions.

The Candidate Information Bulletin (CIB) provided on the Prometric website and available to all candidates clearly explains that only the equivalent of 1 bankers box full of references is allowed. Anyone showing up with more, like 3 boxes is just not reading the instructions.

True. Ric, in regard to the OP's question, have you guys ever considered listing on your website that the exam is open book, 55 questions long, etc.? Unless I missed it, answers to these types of questions are not there. Thanks.

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/refs.shtml

Back