New Code for Spring 2014 Seismic test

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstab

Reaction score
I just failed CA Seismic for the second time (mostly because i was focusing all my study hours to other exams). Has anyone done any research on to what has actually changed in the code from cbc 2010-2012 (i used ibc2009) and asce 7-05 to 7-10, as it relates to the exam? I am not really looking forward to spending 300 more dollars on a new workbook and new code for something that i'll never use again.

If i take either Hiner's or Ibrham's seminar/webinars, do they include the associated code and tables with the class? I used hiners workbook for the last two times i took the test so it would be more familiar to me. I barely studied for the oct test and feel like i was pretty close to passing but i just wasn't fast enough to get all the problems done. Does anyone have preference in classes/workbooks?

Thanks,

BSTAB

Its a "real" code change. Buy the ASCE 7-10, 2012 IBC, and most certainly the new Hiner Book for the 2012 IBC.

Those are the only 3 books you need to pass the CA Seismic exam. You don't need any seminars or anything else. All you need to do is work through ALL of the Hiner book "Multiple Choice Problems", AND all of the "Example Problems". Work thru all of those, highlighting important information related to the answers within the Hiner reference material workbook sections, and then create an index so that you can quickly identify where to go in the Hiner/ASCE/IBC books during the exam, and you are good to go. Its really all you need. And yes..again, buy the new books.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do not have structural/seismic background, I would highly suggest a review course. Getting recommended books won't matter if you do not understand the core of the subject matter which is required to pass the test. I have been there.....

Its a "real" code change. Buy the ASCE 7-10, 2012 IBC, and most certainly the new Hiner Book for the 2012 IBC.

Those are the only 3 books you need to pass the CA Seismic exam. You don't need any seminars or anything else. All you need to do is work through ALL of the Hiner book "Multiple Choice Problems", AND all of the "Example Problems". Work thru all of those, highlighting important information related to the answers within the Hiner reference material workbook sections, and then create an index so that you can quickly identify where to go in the Hiner/ASCE/IBC books during the exam, and you are good to go. Its really all you need. And yes..again, buy the new books.

Actually, bstab, I'd suggest you consider looking into Dr. Ibrahim's book (and/or class). http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=22664

To answer your question, you should always study from the latest codes. However, you may not need to buy them if the workbook/class you take provides the appropriate coverage of the code material/formulas and excerpts of the necessary tables. Check with Dr. I., I think he might provide these handouts with his class.

JD, yes, I agree with doing Hiner's multiple choice but I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they waste their time working through the (21?) long, complicated 'Example Problems'. They are way too complex, are mostly beyond the scope of the exam, and take too long and are a waste of precious study hours. My opinion.

Thanks tater, I signed up for Dr I.'s course for Spring 2014. I plan using his text, ASCE 7-10 (our office just purchased the copy) and IBC 2012/CBC 2013 (equivalent I believe).

Jay

Thanks all,

I emailed Dr. I, He includes pertinent tables and code from both ASCE and the IBC within his workbook as well as in his example exam workbook. I am planning to self study off of his book initially and if confused about something will purchase the new version of Hiner's workbook. Good Luck on the exam!

Just a note: I don't want people to stumble onto this thread and get the wrong idea. Hiner's book is good and am in no way blaming the fact i failed 2x on the workbook. I'm "jumping ship" because EET provides the code and Hiner does not. 2 people at my office with NO structural/seismic experience passed first try with minimal studying solely using Hiner's workbook(plus associated code.) In my opinion the test isn't hard at all, its just time management to get everything looked up and solved as efficiently as possible. I focused the majority of my study time on the 8-hour to make sure i passed. Do lots of problems and understand the concepts listed in the test plan. Use the restroom before the test because it takes 10 minutes to check out and check back in.

Maybe i'll do a comprehensive review of both workbooks after i pass this **** thing in April :bio:

BSTAB

Ok, so I have the new ASCE 7-10 and have access to IBC 2012/CBC 2013. I also just got the new Hiner book. I also have all for of those references based onthe previous code cycle. However, where on the CA board site does it say which codes the test is currently based on? I know they are being slowly adopted by AHJs, but it seems to me that we all are speculating that the next Seismic exam will be based off the new code (unless someone has some official document to site).

Back