Getting ready for the Oct Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecondWind

Reaction score
It sure has been quiet in here lately. How is the studying going for the Oct exam?

I've been sticking to my study schedule and I'm up to my neck into Metcalf & Eddy now...

It has definately been quiet in here. I read the entire Standard Handbook of Environmental Engineering, now i'm going to focus on as many problems as i can do until the exam. I hate studying.

You're about 5 weeks out from the exam. That's about the time I stopped reading and studying to freshen up and learn things, and went into hardcore problem mode.

The exposure to many types of questions and the ability to attack problems quickly and efficiently is crucial, 4 hours goes by real quick in the test room.

Do you guys think the Metcalf and Eddy book is useful for a Trans Depth taker. Would it be useful for the breadth portion of Environmental or the CERM should be enough? Thanks.

Not sure - you should ask this question in the civil section. I took the enviro exam, so I really do not have a good feel for the civil breadth exam. My gut feeling is that M&E would be overkill for the exam unless your depth selection was enviro (or water resources? - sorry, can't remember what the depth choices are off the top of my head for the civil exam)

I'm doing the same thing VT. The breadth of this exam is just crazy - everything from Radiation protection to Wastewater design to Environmental Assessments...

I also need to focus in on a few of my weak areas (open channel flow and determining downwind air concentrations using the horizontal and vertical dispersion charts) before the exam.

You're about 5 weeks out from the exam. That's about the time I stopped reading and studying to freshen up and learn things, and went into hardcore problem mode.
The exposure to many types of questions and the ability to attack problems quickly and efficiently is crucial, 4 hours goes by real quick in the test room.

I also need to focus in on a few of my weak areas (open channel flow and determining downwind air concentrations using the horizontal and vertical dispersion charts) before the exam.
Those downwind air conc problems are the worst! Messy confusion and confusing charts. They did ask about that stuff on my exam though, so be ready for it.

Actually, I thought air dispersion problems were pretty straight-forward.

Indeed - the exams start tomorrow, here on this side of the world, anyway.

Good luck! Report back when you are able to, but always be careful of your agreement not to divulge exam content!

Just found out that I passed!

A big thanks to everyone here for the great prep info :pASSED2:

Back