To quit or not to quit?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gura

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. Today, I’ve received my result and failed the FE exam; this is my second attempt. Just to give a little bit of my background, I graduated last year with a BS in Civil Engineering and currently working for a small construction company. I do road inspection (pretty much working 8 hours every day in the sun and heat). I can’t seem to focus on studying for the FE because of my job (I am always exhausted).

I have been thinking about quitting my job to focus on the FE exam this upcoming April 2012.

1) What’s your opinion on my situation, should I quit my job to focus on FE?

2) How should I attack the FE exam this upcoming April 2012, any advice would be greatly appreciated?

(I will take your comments/advices/opinions constructively, so please don’t hold back)

1) Don't quit your job.

2) If you post your diagnostic, it will be easier to pinpoint areas to concentrate on.

I will, as soon as I get the Diagnostic from NCEES. Thanks MickDozier!

i second the don't quit your job. Maybe make some changes in habit. alter your day to wake up a little earlier and study in the morning, or set aside half a day each weekend to dedicate to studying

Yeah, dont quit your job, especially if not passing isnt putting your job in jeopardy. I'd take Peele's advice and use some vacay time to study, or sign up for a review course. Thats the route I took. Good luck.

Don't quit, many of my friends took the test more than 4 times. take a nap when you get home, and study. Study on weekends. When I was studying for my PE (results pending) I basically became a hermit for a few months, but hey, you do what you gotta do.

I would definitely stay put with your job. I know it may seem impossible at this point to pass the FE exam while still working, but believe me, you can do it. You are just going to have to become ultra productive with the use of your time. I personally, and I am sure many others, worked while studying for both the FE and PE. There is no doubt that this created some unnecessary difficulties and constraints, but some effort up front really made a difference in the effectiveness of my studies personally. These up front efforts included simple things like setting up a study schedule, reflecting on the content included in the exam, and networking with others taking the exam.

Another effective practice is to continually monitor the way you use your time in a typical day period. I often do this by noting what I do for a period of a week or so, just to get an idea of where my time is going. I was amazed when I did this and realized that I was spending inordinate amounts of time reading emails, looking at the internet, and watching TV. I was able to dramatically decrease all of these and have found from doing that I have a bunch more time to do things that are productive.

Another suggestion, as snickerd said, wake up earlier and stay up a bit later while preparing. The time that you spend “uncomfortable” for the short period you study for the exam (say 4 months) should far outweigh the time you feel “uncomfortable” with the thought of retaking the exam (say 1 year). Of course this is only a suggestion and something that may help focus when you need the motivation necessary to push forward during the tough times.

This site is full of support and advice and you have found yourself in the presence of a good community. This network will help you stay accountable and on point as you prepare, so stay connected.

I hope that helps, I wish you luck, take care!

Do not quit. I have been working 40 hour weeks and taking 2 classes and I was able to pass on my 4th try. Did I mention I have a 4 year old. I have a awesome wife that helps me. Just find time. Especially weekends. You might not have a life for a few months but it will be worth it to see the "Pass" next time. It brought me to tears

Study in the morning before work & really use your weekends. Sucks for a couple of months, but it's worth it. You can't study for 8 hours a day anyhow, so quitting isn't going to get you anything. Maybe take vacation or unpaid leave for a couple of weeks prior to the test if you need the last push.

I passed the FE exam last Oct and just found out I passed the PE exam. For both exams I started studying about 5 months before the exam date by doing 2 hrs a night Mon-Thurs (8pm-10pm). Friday and weekend I did not study. As I got about a month away from exam day I up'ed the studying to Mon-Friday 2 hrs a night and a week before exam I did every night 2hrs a night. I did a total of about 200hrs study for each exam. I left University 14 years ago so I needed those hours of study. Best way by far to study is to do practice examples and more practice examples. Do as many practice problems from as many sources as you can ie ncees, ppi etc. When you make a mistake in a problem, highlight the mistake so you can go back over your problems and remember not to fall into those traps again during the exam. Ncees loves to put the '"correct wrong" answer as part of the multiple choice answers. In my case I also prayed really hard too.

Keep your review material with you in the field. I've done roadway construction inspections and know you'll get a few 15-30 minute "breaks" in the day. You could just sit down in your truck with your material and start reading/reviewing. Then in the evening, take about an hour to re-read and review what you looked at that day as a refresher, maybe attempt a few practice problems associated with what you read that day.

But I definitely agree that there's no need to quit your job.

I studied for the Oct. 2010 exam beginning January (yes that long). This is because I've been away from school so long I wanted extra time to get up to speed on all the subjects in the exam.

Wake up an hour earlier to study. That way you are rested from a good night's sleep. I studied 1-2 hrs 4 days a week and as much as I have time for in the weekends.

Worked for me both time. Passed the Mech PE too this year.

Good luck and I hope you pass next time.

Dont quit. Correct me if im wrong, but u can keep taking the FE. Not like you can take the PE right away ne ways. You gotta wait 4 years. Use those 4yrs and keep trying to take it

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. Today, I’ve received my result and failed the FE exam; this is my second attempt. Just to give a little bit of my background, I graduated last year with a BS in Civil Engineering and currently working for a small construction company. I do road inspection (pretty much working 8 hours every day in the sun and heat). I can’t seem to focus on studying for the FE because of my job (I am always exhausted).

I have been thinking about quitting my job to focus on the FE exam this upcoming April 2012.

2) How should I attack the FE exam this upcoming April 2012, any advice would be greatly appreciated?

(I will take your comments/advices/opinions constructively, so please don’t hold back)

Don't quit your job. I just found out I passed on my 6th try. I final decided to take a prep class. You should probably sign up for one.

Dont quit! Try a structured online prep class that meets on weekends. Nothing like interactive question and answer and demonstration to help you visualize and conceptualize. I used EITexperts.com and found it very helpfull. It may be tough to buckle down these next few months but it is a short term sacrifice for long term benefit. Keep your spirits up. Tell yourself how much you love to study! Get plenty of exercise too. It helped my mood and kept my back from hunching over after hours of study! lol Dont need to waste time at the gym just a few pushups etc will do wonders.

I agree with everyone else....DON'T QUIT YOUR JOB.....you will miss the money, you will trash your resume and you will lose out on work time that can be used in your PE application process.

I took the FE after being out of school 20 years and I worked in construction in the field also. Believe me...if I could pass the exam, then you can also.

Your problem is most likely your study routine. The FE is more of a "work as many problems as you can" exam then the PE is, in my opinion. The good news is that you know what they are going to ask you on the FE. I made the decision to go General Engineering in the PM and used the FERM and the PPI Exam Cafe to get myself passed while only studying nights & weekends (for about 5 months).

You need to be honest with yourself about how you are studying, what you need to do to be more effective and then focus on it.

Good luck my field construction brother.

If I were you, I'd try to find another job. If you can afford to not have a job while you're studying for the exam, then I say go for it. The biggest down side is that your Resume will have a gaping hole in it that you'll have to explain at you next few interviews. But it wouldn't be too horrible to explain it with the truth, that you wanted to obtained your EIT and felt you needed to devote special attention to that.

Hello Everyone,

I feel for you, buddy.

Back