Plane hits Father and Girl in Florida

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to assume that and emergency landing on dry land is probably a safer than ditching in the water so the pilot opted for the beach hoping people would see/hear him coming and get out of the way.

I think these are total BS, if you take the risk of flying you need to ditch instead of killing other people.. This happened on an inteterstate in GA a few years back also, where the pilot landed on the interstate and killed some drivers but they were okay....

I think these are total BS, if you take the risk of flying you need to ditch instead of killing other people.. This happened on an inteterstate in GA a few years back also, where the pilot landed on the interstate and killed some drivers but they were okay....
I vaguely recall the incident in GA, I didn't realize there were fatalities in that case. It seems you hear stories like this every few months.

This is the incident I remember.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/20/georgia.plane.emergency.landing/

There were no injuries in that case, but I'm sure there have been other incidents that have resulted in injuries on GA highways. I remember when this happened I couldn't believe no one was injured as it seems almost inconceivable that there wouldn't be hundreds of vehicles on that stretch of highway when this occurred.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was one in the 80's on 85....

But I still can't believe it's legal just to land and kill someone cause your hobby broke....

If your car broke down and you lost stealing and plowed Into a pedestrian I am sure there would be consequences...

I can't see how this is not the pilot's fault.

Even if at the last second, it is obvious the Dad and girl didn't hear him, he still needs to vear to the water.

I don't get it.

Given an engine failure, it's preferable to put it down on land rather than water. The plane stands a pretty good chance of winding up on its back if the water landing isn't done just right. I have had an engine fail in flight. It's not exactly a low stress environment and you don't get any do-overs.

I'm not going to say anything good or bad about the pilot until a lot more information comes out (like a NTSB report). If he had the nose high enough (likely since he was flaring to land), he probably never even saw the people he hit. When he scanned the beach, it may have looked completely empty to him. I have a hard time believing he just thought it would be preferable to hit somebody on the ground than take the water. There's no way to know until a lot more information comes out.

I can't see how this is not the pilot's fault.

Even if at the last second, it is obvious the Dad and girl didn't hear him, he still needs to vear to the water.

I don't get it.

Out of altitude, out of airspeed, and no power. The only thing trying to veer much will do is drag a wing and maybe get a lot more people hurt. Again, I wasn't there and I bet there are a couple of decisions he made that he would like to have another shot at. Hell, my little engine out adventure ended pretty much perfect (On-airport landing) and there are a couple of things I think I would do differently should it happen again.

I am not trying to "disrespect" the private pilot community but I think if you decide that you want to take up a hobby that could result in your plane landing on someones house, you should be required to ditch and risk killing yourself rather than "take a chance" landing on some road or beach.

the other case I recall in GA was the guy tried landing on I-575 at rush hour and had a change of mind and opted for a median and ended up bighting it,. but that was better than trying to land on top of the evening rush hour traffic (it was on the other side of the "southern tech" rock part of I-575 / Barrett..

I was waiting to hear what Flyer had to say about it and that makes the most sense. I would imagine a plane without power is very difficult to handle, let alone "steer" to a safe place.

If he could land that plane where he did I am sure he had enough control to land it elsewheres.. sucks to survive two wars and get killed by some asshole falling out of the sky...

I'm not sure why these stories get to me, I know people that chose fly planes are mostly good people, I just think this whole land wherever the **** you want to when you have a problem is total bullshit

Maybe we should add an extra lane to the roadway (next to the bikelane)? :dunno:

ba6u5ypu.jpg

Back