protective rellaying graph

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEoct

Reaction score
hello friends

can anyone help me with graph , i dnt get how they get values from graph

i know how to get I pu ( pick up current) but dnt understand the terminology of time delay.

what is the role of time delay on graph and how to look it up.

i know i am asking bit too much but any clue or reference will work wonder :)

if you are asking Q137 from NCEES

Ok on the ncees q137

The question give you short circuit current 1500A and the min pick up current is 420A

On the graph it has time and multiple pick up current setting.

Formula to use

multiple pick up current setting = I(short circuit)/I(pick up) = 1500/420 = 3.57

On the graph it ask you to find TD using 0.9 sec and 3.57 ...answer should be 2

ok, so value of 2 is in sec or current. NEC , i am confused that what values they comparing from graph sec or td and current

also

i have attached the pic the question i was talking about from GA Tech notes

can u kindly have a look. so basically they are comparing TD and current or the sec values. ?

sorry i dnt have scanner. yest i did from work guess didnt went through.

u know how sometimes u are guuuuurrrrrrrrr how come u dnt get it .........

graph.jpg

Let me give it a try. The 1/2 time delay curve is chosen because it is the fastest. In the first part of the problem you are calculating for relay 2, which is the closest to the fault, so you want it to operate the quickest thereby isolating the smallest amount of line. In fact that's the whole concept of relay coordination - operating the closest relay and minimizing the outage area. By the way, time dial 1/2 coordinates to 0.1 sec. Next the problem calculates for relay 1. Since this relay is further away from the fault you want to give it more time to operate - thereby giving relay 2 a chance to operate. If relay 2 operates appropriately relay 1 does not have to operate at all. 0.3 seconds is added to relay 2's time of 0.1, resulting in 0.4 seconds. If you locate 0.4 seconds on the y axis, draw line parallel to x-axis until you reach 13.3 (I fault/I pickup) the closest time dial setting is 2. Time delay setting are at the discretion of the utility and I would think those would need to be stated in the test problem - assuming they are not giving you other info and asking you to solve for TD. I took the GA Tech course myself and the preceding pages do a decent job of breaking it down. Although I had to study those pages several times to attempt an answer to your question even after passing the test. Let me know if that helps. I also welcome any corrections from other EB members who maybe more proficient in relay coordination than I am. Which is highly possible.

thank you katylied and iwire.

awesome explanation,

i know it now !

FWIW, the Complex Imaginary sample tests had time current graph problems similar to what might be on an actual test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back