General Exam Question - Michigan

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilestar

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will taking PE in October in Michigan. I was just curious how strict they are on writings on books/notes with pencil.

I bought some used six minute and other books that have pencil written notes and solutions, is that going to be a problem?

Also, how much space you have on the table, I am just curious how many books you can put on the table.

Thanks

(In California) I had half of a standard folding table to work with -- so 3'x3' or so?

Plus they allowed us to keep books we weren't actively using on the floor by our feet.

I took the exam in lansing last year. The tables were wide, maybe 5-6 ft., but not very deep. I kept most of my references on the floor until I needed them. As for writing in references, I think as long as you aren't writing in them during the exam, you should be fine.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. @ptatohed I will be glad to know about the experience of other states too :)

Thanks guys. @ptatohed I will be glad to know about the experience of other states too :)

In that case, in CA, in my experience, pencil marks were not a problem at all. I had them everywhere. And as far as space, it was two people to a layout table. The tables were 6-8' long and probably 3' deep. I don't think there was a limit to the # of books you could have out (but I kept the ones I was not using off to the side). Good luck!

Thank you ptaohed. I am surely relieved to know pencil marks are not a problem, It would be a pain to erase everything at this time.

Smilestar-- Each state is different. To be positive, call the state board tomorrow and find out. No reason to believe that you are OK and then find out that some rule has changed since the last guy took the test. This is a matter where you need to call the state board and ask. They will tell you-- if you showed up and were told to erase everything, you would go South and fail.

Just a simple country boy suggestion from a simple country boy.

Did you have a locker to store your personal belongings like car keys, purse/wallet and cell phone? i will be taking the exam in virginia

Smilestar-- Each state is different. To be positive, call the state board tomorrow and find out. No reason to believe that you are OK and then find out that some rule has changed since the last guy took the test. This is a matter where you need to call the state board and ask. They will tell you-- if you showed up and were told to erase everything, you would go South and fail.

Just a simple country boy suggestion from a simple country boy.
+1. Also, in Alabama, our tables were approximately 3' x 6', give or take. Nice amount of room. I had all my critical books/notes strategically placed on the table. The rest were in crates on the floor. Also, most of us were one person/table although it appeared that if you were in a discipline that did not use notes, or were limited in the amount you could bring in, you were at a table with two persons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back