is there bridge stuff on PE?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illini86

Reaction score
i've seen in a few places where a full section of the pe book is on bridge related stuff, i thought that it was only on the SE...can i get some clarification? then the aashto code referenced is the bridge version yet the breakdown by %'s has nothing really that stands out as bridges...unless i'm being an idiot and missing it

thanks

thanks potato head but i've seen that as well but still question as to the depth of the topic...yes pretyt much anything can be taken from buildings iot bridges w steel and concrete but liek do we need to know influence lines, all this other wild loading stuff??? i know i saw a few things in the ncees practice tests but they seemed easy liek what is the proper span length and all this....is that fair to assume things like that or are they going to be way beyond that??

i don't know and i've gotten to that section in my kaplan book and know nothing, yet its a BIG section in the book....the cerm doesn't even really have the stuff listed in it as well which makes me guess is minimal and is the big picture stuff

i do know that april cant come fast enough as i never want to go through again until i get the luxury of taking the atrocious SE in a few years....

Not that I know of. There might be some questions from the AASHTO but specific bridge/building design I believe is an SE split. What they may be doing is catering to those who plan on taking the SE1 bridge test.

that's kinda what i figured as everyone i've talked to is like if there is something it's something dumb like clear spans or lane spacing, not like create the giant influence line for a tank loading

Don't worry about bridge stuff. I passed in October with not studying anything bridge related except what's in the CERM. I did end up bringing the AASHTO Bridge Code book to the test just in case since my company owned it. Totally not worth it. The only benefit it had was making my arms sore, the thing must have weighed 20 lbs!

you may get one or two in the afternoon, and that's a big maybe, i'd focus more on getting those easier morning questions than worry about bridge.

thanks, that's what i figured...

i think the morning shouldn't be that bad, the water stuff is the hardest then the afternoon structural i dont know exactly what to study per se, but from the outline its just like the morning w a smidge more stuff

I think it will have more deflection and indeterminate questions as well as some that would require the steel manual or wood manual for member design etc.

When I took the PE Struc PM section last year there was one question WRT bridge design and I think it was easy, something like # of lanes or the DF

What would you recommend for studying the BASIC bridge stuff? I'm talking about spending no more than 4 hours on it.

Are you taking Civil - Structural? Did you purchase the NCEES Sample Exam? There was one (1) AASHTO problem in the afternoon. Based on this sample exam it doesn't appear to carry a lot of weight in the Civil - Structural. However, the Structural I Exam (no longer given) had a ton of bridge problems. It is hard to practice problems from AASHTO, but they typically aren't all that complex. It is just a matter of locating and applying the correct section. The size of the AASHTO can be a bit overwhelming. I separated it into two binders, then made a completely separate bound document with the index and table of contents from each section. The separate document helped me locate the most helpful section of the AASHTO more efficiently and the two separate binders made getting there easier.

Generally speaking, the 2 items that you may see in the 8-hr exam includes the following:

- Bridge concrete deck design according to AASHTO

- ASSHTO loading structural analysis

Good luck,

Back