Specification Topics - Study Help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

team1887

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what resources, study guides, problems, to use to study for the topics below. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have the 6 minute solutions, but that is only just a few problems.

V. Roadside and Cross Section Design

VIII. Geotechnical and Pavement

IX. Drainage

X. Alternatives Analysis

Thank you.

What is your level of understanding of the topics? Do you need to learn these, or just looking to brush up??

Principles of Highway Engineering and Traffic Analysis by Mannering and Washburn is a great all-around college textbook to teach the subjects. Be warned though, if you plan to work the many problems at the end of chapter, you're going to need a Chegg subscription, as the textbook provides no solutions. The pavement design section in this book is really good. I could send you his class notes as well for this chapter.

Roadside and cross section ..... I've been looking just at the RDG ... seems to cover everything nicely. ADA, just print out the standards and have it to look up. New topic so no one really knows what will be on it, but really how much more could it be other than parking cross slopes, sidewalk, and crosswalk grades?

Any water resources book will teach drainage, you can get the HEC-22 for free

Alternatives analysis is just Engineering Economics ... Id imagine you'll see a couple present and future worth topics .... you could probably get what you need from the CERM

Last edited by a moderator:
for section V. I have done it in practice, at work (2+ years ago), but I dont have any books to really reference and problems to solve.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Back