PMP Certification

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lev280

Anyone here with the PMP certification? If so, please post here any tips/help regarding preparation for the PMP exam. Thanks.

Lev280:

I took and passed the PMP Certification exam in March 2005. I studied for 6-8 weekends mostly from a text by Rita somebody. I also took sample tests. The material is not tough, just make sure you understand their terminology. I was practicing a lot of things they mention, but they just call it something else, and that is an important factor in the preparation. The exam itself was sorta tricky. I would say I had to make an educated guess on about 10-15% of the questions. I guess they were correct, because I got a 180 out of 200. Good luck!

Anyone here with the PMP certification? If so, please post here any tips/help regarding preparation for the PMP exam. Thanks.

Thanks.

Is that the only text you used?

Did you take the computer based or paper based exam?

Is the PMP exam easier or harder than the PE exam?

Lev280:
I took and passed the PMP Certification exam in March 2005. I studied for 6-8 weekends mostly from a text by Rita somebody. I also took sample tests. The material is not tough, just make sure you understand their terminology. I was practicing a lot of things they mention, but they just call it something else, and that is an important factor in the preparation. The exam itself was sorta tricky. I would say I had to make an educated guess on about 10-15% of the questions. I guess they were correct, because I got a 180 out of 200. Good luck!

Last edited:
I am pretty sure its administered as the computer based version. Its 4 hours long and you have 200 questions. I think you pass if you get 138 correct. As for the text, this text is pretty exhaustive. In addition, make sure you know the PMBOK definitions etc. I bought another text book (can't remember the name), but found it to be too simplistic. I feared that I would not be adequately prepared and then bought the Rita text book. As for comparison with PE, there is none. PE is tougher because it covers a very wide range. PMP is mostly management principles and best practices. I am not trying to say that PMP is easy, but relatively speaking I found PMP easiER.

I think I found the book..

PM Crash Course™, Premier Edition by Rita Mulcahy

Is it this one?

Last edited:
Any feedback as to how much weight this designation carries?
First of all, how did the designation PMP ever get past marketing? Seriously?

Secondly, I give very little weight to those who carry the PMP tag. In my field, Most of the people wearing it have limited work experience, took a 40 hour course, and passed a 4 hour exam. Obviously YMMV.

If I am going to put 3 letters after my name, it will not be PMP.

I got Level I Certification in Program Management from the DoD when that was all the rage in the mid-nineties. I heard it is making a comeback. That true?

I got Level I Certification in Program Management from the DoD when that was all the rage in the mid-nineties. I heard it is making a comeback. That true?
I think the Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics (ATL) field, in general, has always been driving career field certification. Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) certification requirements do seem to have an increased focus and you can't be a member of the Defense Acquisition Corps without a Level II certification in some field (though it doesn't matter which one).

I don't know many Program Manager types (I'm a Contracting guy)... but that's probably because I don't have a lot to do with NAVAIR or NAVSEA.

Well, I was surpirsed when I heard the Certifications were back in vogue. Here's my collection:

Level III Certification in Systems Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering

Level I Certification in Test and Evaluation

Level I Certification in Program Management

I don't think they really do much more than pad a resume.

Well, I was surpirsed when I heard the Certifications were back in vogue. Here's my collection:
Level III Certification in Systems Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering

But they do sound nifty... that's important.

In my new job I will have to be level 3 certified in Systems Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering within 2 years of starting. The only role it really has is to exclude others from those positions. It takes a waiver from very senior types (GO/SES types) that rarely happen.

In my new job I will have to be level 3 certified in Systems Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering within 2 years of starting. The only role it really has is to exclude others from those positions. It takes a waiver from very senior types (GO/SES types) that rarely happen.
Yeah... not much to do that really adds to a "body of knowledge":

Level I

- None

Level II

- EDUCATION

+ Baccalaureate degree in engineering, physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, or a related field

- EXPERIENCE

+ 2 years of acquisition-related experience in science and technology

- TRAINING

+ ACQ 101 Fundamentals of Systems Acquisition Management [bU5]

+ STM 201 Intermediate S&T Management [JHZ]

Level III

- EDUCATION

+ Baccalaureate degree in engineering, physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, or a related field

+ (Desired) Master’s degree in engineering, physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, operations research, management, or a related field

- EXPERIENCE

+ 2 years of acquisition-related experience in science and technology

- TRAINING

+ STM 302 Advanced S&T Management [PGR]

How are those courses? Have you done any yet?

In my interview today with the DoD this came up. EVERYBODY had that designation on their door. Kinda funny, everybody had EVERY designation on their door. I need some more alphabet soup to fit in at that place!

I was roaming over here to see what the heck it was. I'm a little curious as to what constitutes project management experience. I thought it was pretty heavily involved stuff, but from above it looks far less so. I've done land development projects for nearly 5 years now- does that count or no?

Thanks!

Back