FE Result: Got 56.16 % and still says "FAIL"

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prk

Reaction score
My diagnostic report shows: 77 questions are correct for AM. 29 questions are correct for PM. It means (77/120+29/60) = (0.64 + 0.48)/2 = 0.5616. i.e. 56.16% and still says FAIL.

Is there anybody who is in the same boat?

POST YOUR DIAGNOSTIC AND I CAN GIVE FEEDBACK, SORRY FOR YOUR RESULT.

Wow. You should have passed! That is very strange. It says in the review books that the passing cutoff score is 110/240 which is only (45.88%). You should have every right to know what the actual cutoff was, and how close you were!

At least you got your result though. The NCEES sent my result to my state board for further review. And they gave me no reason why they did this.

What state did you take your test?

We were told that a 115 would make the case. We studied with that in mind. One friend has recieved his scores and got a 115 (excaclty what we thought), he did not pass. Another got a 120, he too, did not pass.

This is very frustrating. I am still waiting on my results, doesn't look too good for me if the 135 is accurate!

That is exactly why you should study with the mindset that 240 is the cut score, and work towards that. You are setting yourself up for failure by guessing a cut score and working towards that lowered expectation.

cut score and percentage correct are not the same. This is one of the drawbacks to the new diagnostic forms...they give enough information to be dangerous. It better helps to tell you exactly where your weaknesses are but is being used improperly to try to calculate things that are not calculateable.

Simple pass/fail with the faguer strength and weakness diagnostic seems like the better option.

We were told that a 115 would make the case. We studied with that in mind. One friend has recieved his scores and got a 115 (excaclty what we thought), he did not pass. Another got a 120, he too, did not pass.
Who told you that and why did you swear by it?

I'm with wilheld here.

from MRL's PPI check this link so that youll know your score isnt 56% but below 50% realisticly and who knows, the cut score is unknown.

/>http://forums.ppi2pass.com/Thread-FERM-diagnostic-exams

My friends and I, between all of us, have taken several different prep courses. In these courses they tell you this. Of course, it is not written in stone.

With that, it isn't like we stopped studying or working the test when we felt we had 115 ponts. This was just somthing that we thought helped us during our studying, for example, when we took practice exams and were scoring 48-52%, we felt that we had a good chance of passing the exam.

My friends and I, between all of us, have taken several different prep courses. In these courses they tell you this. Of course, it is not written in stone.

With that, it isn't like we stopped studying or working the test when we felt we had 115 ponts. This was just somthing that we thought helped us during our studying, for example, when we took practice exams and were scoring 48-52%, we felt that we had a good chance of passing the exam.
I guess you were done a disservice then if you were told this and it made you feel comfortable about your practice tests. The reality is that no one knows the cut score, and feeling that you have a good chance of passing anything if you only get ~50% of the questions right is a scary thought process to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
.,.. feeling that you have a good chance of passing anything if you only get ~50% of the questions right is a scary thought process to me.
This. Especially if we're talking about people starting down the path of engineering...

Really Funny, I guess. Everyone knows that the FE is NOT a direct reflection of the work we do on a daily basis.

But carry on!

^^^ Wow, your weatherman is that good? I wish ours could be right that often...

Really Funny, I guess. Everyone knows that the FE is NOT a direct reflection of the work we do on a daily basis.

But carry on!
Neither is the PE for most people... so what's your point?
ohsnapks0.gif

My diagnostic report shows: 77 questions are correct for AM. 29 questions are correct for PM. It means (77/120+29/60) = (0.64 + 0.48)/2 = 0.5616. i.e. 56.16% and still says FAIL.

Is there anybody who is in the same boat?
I heard from long time ago...your PM exam should be more than 30....which is more than half....if your PM score is less than 30 and your AM should be more than 80.

Anyway, don't worry too much. I fail once total score 111 (April 2008) passed on the second try (Oct, 2008) during the second study that I focus on things that I made so many error on the first exam. I not only solve the problem but think why this problem and how it relate to others......

You will pass next try. good luck.

Back