...and now what?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpha Dog

Reaction score
Howdy folks!

I wish to draw on the sage advice of some of the more experienced engineers. Here's my story: I graduated with a BS in civil engineering and did Army ROTC in college. I commissioned into the Army thinking it was going to be my career and that I'd never use engineering ever again. And, well, after four years of the Army, I honestly think engineering was in fact the right career for me. I'm separating from the military this summer so now I have to decide what to do with my life. I got accepted to Arizona State's master of engineering program. I can get some modest benefits from the VA (50% post-9/11 GIB) but other than that, I have no definite scholarships. I'm also getting job offers for entry-level civil engineers in Texas and New Mexico (so far.)

My goal is to become a structural engineer and get my PE.

So my question is...is graduate school worth it? Would it help me that much as a structural engineer? Would I be better off just going straight to the job market? Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks.

Take the job and do the Masters at night.

There is no replacement for real-world experience. The MS looks really nice, but IMO, the experience is so much more valuable.

I think I would also go ahead and take a job, preferably one close to a university that offers the structural masters degree. Then you could work and earn money and go to school at the same time maybe you can even get more company to reimburse you for some of it. I know they are doing that for some of our younger structural engineers at my office

If you want to do structural design, more and more companies are requiring that MS degree (mine included). Other specialties of Civil engineering tend to be less particular.

I think with the Army experience, going straight back into school instead of taking classes at night may not be such a detriment as for someone straight out of their undergrad.

But John and RG are right -- real world experience will be more valuable in the long run, if you can get your foot in the door without requiring the credential value of the MS to get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is from a legit school it is fine. The degree doesn't say you got it online. If it's from University of Phoenix I'd say nah though

Back