Why is PCS (for PA and other states) so SLOW!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiroEng

Reaction score
Since we can't rant or complain in other posts apparently... this is for ranting about PCS and PA or other states that seem to always be last to receive results.

that being said, I am right there with you. they are incredibly slow and I have no clue why.

NJmike, yes, and obviously its extremely frustrating. Even just the comparision of when people in PCS states may get salary increases for a PE, those states candidates could essentially lose up to a month of increased wages (if the results truly don't come until early January!)

:censored:

So frustrating. Especially since they have now released the passing percentage.

I do believe the Licensing Board has to approve the results. Per the State website, the Board's next scheduled meeting is Jan 8. I am not saying they won't have a meeting that is not publicly posted, but this would be consistent with October 2012 results time tables.

So frustrating. Especially since they have now released the passing percentage.
I posted in a different thread, an email response from the NCEES, addressing my concerns for the drastic differences in pass rates from first time takes to repeat takes. It may help.

Either way, I can sympathize with everyone. I am three time taker. I want my results as much as anyone. trust me.

Last edited by a moderator:
NJmike, yes, and obviously its extremely frustrating. Even just the comparision of when people in PCS states may get salary increases for a PE, those states candidates could essentially lose up to a month of increased wages (if the results truly don't come until early January!)

You think you'll get a response from them about why they're so slow? I've searched everywhere for when the Wisconsin board will meet (if they do). They say nothing about it online. Wisconsin was only a week behind last December, hopefully its the same or better this year.

honestly, probably not. I have bugged them many times over the past year (oct 12 and ap 13). they have their time table, most likely driven by budgeted timetables for a given contract. If they show a drastic time table change then it will impact their contract for future work. To make matter worse, the state boards may require a meeting to vote on the validated work from the PCS. those are the states that take even longer. No matter what it sucks.

I guess I didn't get the memo about not b*ch'n and griping in other threads. So if I derailed conversations there, whoopsie.

I'm serious about sending a message to my state legislators about this if we don't receive results by New Years. It may not even be a fart in a hurricane, but at least I'll feel like somebody listens. Every aspect of our state's government is inefficient, wasteful and a joke; from the commonwealth/township model to the rules and laws stuck in the mud of the 18th century.

This may just be how life has gone in this state for the past 300 years, IDK, I moved here from out west so the only thing I know is how other states and countries operate. And PA is legitimately a joke when compared, IMO.

You think you'll get a response from them about why they're so slow? I've searched everywhere for when the Wisconsin board will meet (if they do). They say nothing about it online. Wisconsin was only a week behind last December, hopefully its the same or better this year.
I just received a response actually from PCS...I quote directly from the email:

"[SIZE=medium]Yes. PCS just received scores last week and we have to upload all scores into our system and then reconcile. Our website gives you a heads up on this, the Candidate Information Bulletin informs you that scores are released 10-12 weeks after the exam date. When you scheduled and paid PCS you certified that your read and understood the CIB, please allow t10-12 weeks to receive your score information. Once scores are released you will receive an email from NCEES with instructions to log in to your NCEES account to view your score. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Sincerely,[/SIZE]

--

Client Coordinator

Professional Credential Services

150 Fourth Avenue, North, Suite 800

Nashville, TN 37219

[SIZE=medium]www.pcshq.com[/SIZE]"

Basically no explanation, just them saying.... yes its taking a while...

Also, for reference, my question/comment to them was:

"[SIZE=medium]I am still waiting on my October 2013 PE Exam results in Pennsylvania. It seems almost the entire country (other than PCS states) have their results already...including some who have received it by "snail" mail. Is there a reason that the PCS states have a much longer wait to receive their results? This seems extremely unacceptable. "[/SIZE]

right, and out of no where, depending on the state which you live and took the exam in, you will receive an email, far less than the 10-12 week quote, that the results are now available. trust me, I have been through this, contacting them is like contacting your cable company when the signal goes our or you have trouble with their equipment. the customer service, aka client coordinator, reads straight from a procedural book of responses.

I do also find it amusing that PCS is headquartered in Tenessee, which apparently doesn't even use their services, as their results are already out..

I'm anxious to get my results...but in the grand scheme, an extra week doesn't really make much difference. It's not like I have plans on the table waiting for my seal. I'm mostly just jealous of everybody else who passed already. The extra time has actually given me a little time to put the test in perspective and be more receptive to whatever result I receive.

If I was a non-engineer working for the state board or for PCS, I'm afraid I would fail to see much urgency in posting the results a few days earlier. Especially if I'm PCS- the examinees aren't even my client. The state board is. And I'm pretty sure PCS delivers a service that includes full documentation on all of the examinees, assignment of a license number, issuance of certificates and possibly many other things, so it's critical to their business that they deliver a final product that is free from errors high quality. The results are just one component.

I'm anxious to get my results...but in the grand scheme, an extra week doesn't really make much difference. It's not like I have plans on the table waiting for my seal. I'm mostly just jealous of everybody else who passed already. The extra time has actually given me a little time to put the test in perspective and be more receptive to whatever result I receive.

If I was a non-engineer working for the state board or for PCS, I'm afraid I would fail to see much urgency in posting the results a few days earlier. Especially if I'm PCS- the examinees aren't even my client. The state board is. And I'm pretty sure PCS delivers a service that includes full documentation on all of the examinees, assignment of a license number, issuance of certificates and possibly many other things, so it's critical to their business that they deliver a final product that is free from errors high quality. The results are just one component.

I think it is understood that there is more involved than a number, but does that mean the other states aren't able to have quality results?

It just seems odd and frustrating that one single entity seems to hold up a number of states, where other states have no issue. If every state had a complex procedure of sorting out results, then PCS related states wouldn't be the "oddball"

I have yet to hear where a non-PCS state's results get completely screwed up because they were not handled with the "care" that PCS apparently takes.

Yes and no. I know that VA and CT both assign license numbers before you even take the test. They are referred to as candidate numbers until you pass. However, I think the rest of what you wrote is correct, there is more to it than forwarding what NCEES gives them. They are contracted out to do a specific job, and unless there is evidence of them totally blowing the contract, it is safe to assume they are doing the job they are getting paid to do.

Back