6 MINUTE SOLUTIONS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pizza

Reaction score
I have two older six minute solutions, the water resources and the environmental. When they were still separate. How useful are these problems to have written out to use as examples for the test? I'm about half way through the water resources one, wondering if I should keep plugging away at it then do the environmental one. Or if I’m wasting my time.

I also have the Davis and Cornwall book Principals of Environmental Engineering and Sciences, that I could do practice problems from instead of the 6 minute for enviro. Just wondering what past test takers think.

Thanks!

If I were to retake the exam and choose the water/enve depth option, I would work all the problems in the 6 Minutes Solutions Water book and have it mastered. If I chose a different (non water/enve) depth option, I would work enough of the water problems to be comfortable with the material, but I wouldn't push myself to become a master at it with the 4 other topics waiting to be studied. That's my take.

I have two older six minute solutions, the water resources and the environmental. When they were still separate. How useful are these problems to have written out to use as examples for the test? I'm about half way through the water resources one, wondering if I should keep plugging away at it then do the environmental one. Or if I’m wasting my time.

I also have the Davis and Cornwall book Principals of Environmental Engineering and Sciences, that I could do practice problems from instead of the 6 minute for enviro. Just wondering what past test takers think.

Thanks!

Piz, I am not sure what your question is exactly. Are you asking if the 6MS books are useful in general or are you asking specifically if your old books are too old to be useful? I'm also confused with what "to have written out to use as examples for the test?" means?

I am asking if these books being seperated, are too in depth for the new combined water/enviro test.

I am writing out all the problem solutions with the promt. I am wondering how useful examples are on the test. Like I will have about 500 written out examples and solutions(from the refrences above), by the time the test comes. I was going to organize them by area of practice and then by topic, just wondering if people have done the same thing, for the depth and breath sections. Or if they just use their CERM book and other refrences and don't take in example problems.

I am asking if these books being seperated, are too in depth for the new combined water/enviro test.

I am writing out all the problem solutions with the promt. I am wondering how useful examples are on the test. Like I will have about 500 written out examples and solutions(from the refrences above), by the time the test comes. I was going to organize them by area of practice and then by topic, just wondering if people have done the same thing, for the depth and breath sections. Or if they just use their CERM book and other refrences and don't take in example problems.

Everyone has a different method of what works for them but I caution you against relying on worked-out problems. It's generally not advised. There is no substitute for understanding the fundamentals of how to solve a given problem on your own with minimal look-up (only formulas, tables, etc.). I worked a gazillion problems before the exam but I never used a worked-out problem during the exam. But maybe it works for some.

IM taking the Env/Water Resources PM section this Friday. I have the six minute study guide. Anything other recommened materials to take to the exam??

Back