Non-traditional students

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CivilNY

Reaction score
Have any non-traditional students ever had to wait less than 4 years after graduation to get their PE license.

I just graduated at 34 years old but I've been working on engineering for 10 years. I live in NY and can't seem to get a good answer.

Most states don't start counting experience until after you graduate... regardless if you had internships or co-ops. But I can't speak for NY. I'm only familiar with the rules for PA and OH.

MD you only need 12 years experience regardless of degree.

I thought NY was the same way.

any other similar state rules. You just have to look around, and you would typically be applying for the "non-degreed" option.

John - do you have any information about the non-degreed option? I never knew there was an option unless you are ABET or demonstrate ABET equivalency. Thanks in advance.

John - do you have any information about the non-degreed option? I never knew there was an option unless you are ABET or demonstrate ABET equivalency. Thanks in advance.

It's varies state-to-state check with your specific state board, some offer it, many don't. I would guess that no two are alike in their "alternative pathways to licensure." I bet it makes comity very difficult if you are hoping to get multiple states.

So you have your FE, correct??

The only state in the NY area I don't think you can get licensed in without an ABET degree is The People's Republic of New Jersey.

So you have your FE, correct??

The only state in the NY area I don't think you can get licensed in without an ABET degree is The People's Republic of New Jersey.
I do not, and my understanding is that I am not eligible to sit for it without ABET equivalency. However, after poking around a bit, I believe that some states also exempt you from the FE after X years of Engineering work. Granted, it's all a pipe dream anyways, since most of my experience (minus the materials/scheduling components) would likely not be considered qualifying work (e.g. code compliance, procedure writing, etc.)

8 years to sit for the FE in PA w/o a degree, then another 4 after the FE to sit for the PE

12 years in MD to bypass the FE all together and take the PE, but you'll probably never get reciprocity anywhere.

8 years to sit for the FE in PA w/o a degree, then another 4 after the FE to sit for the PE

12 years in MD to bypass the FE all together and take the PE, but you'll probably never get reciprocity anywhere.
In my field, the PE serves only two purposes: 1) certain management positions within the company require it, and 2) it would be a requirement to use the term "Engineering" for consulting work. Beyond that, I would never sign/stamp anything as a PE. My boss has had one for 35 years and can attest to that.

NYS doesn't require that you wait 4 years after graduation. You just need to meet the 12 years of combined educational and work experience requirement. I highly recommend you review the state board website or call and talk to someone.

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pels/pelic.htm#educ

FYI, NYS still has a non-degreed option.

Back