Find mentor in NYC

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afraid

Reaction score
I'm looking to start doing some structural design at an entry level. I have no previous real world design experience. I would like to know what are my best options, and any career advice will be deeply appreciated. I think I have nothing to lose, but everything to win.

Ramnares,

How proficient in structural design do new hires need to be. I've always wondered if new hires are given tasks to perform using a calculations and notes. This way the new hire can reference books and get up to speed.

A standard engineering background (BS degree) is all that's really required. Some experience in Structural engineering would always be preferred. I have seen new grads hired that were basically walked through the process. You may end up peer reviewing basic structural calcs and drawings, perform calcs using Design Data Sheets, and familiarize yourself with standard structural software (NASTRAN, FEMAP etc.) via tutorials before being shepherded through your first few models. There's a massive wealth of experience on staff and, at least when I was there, they were very good about tutoring new hires.

That sounds outstanding! I currently work in construction management and I have wondered how the grass is on the other side.

I wish I could've said that about the people that I work with. I have to learn everything I know with basically no help.

Do more senior engineers think that there are less mentors in the engineering field today?

Oh, fruit flavored mentos are yummy.

Did the mayor ban mentos in NYC?

Seems odd to have a thread dedicated to looking for mentos.

If you can find one, then congrats. I had to go the hard route, on my own.

Back