Multiple Licenses

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayKrone89

Reaction score
Hey, so I have a B.S. in mechanical engineering from an ABET approvied college. My job however involves both mechanical and electrical engineering. I just took the PE exam last month for my mechanical license. Assuming I pass, I'd like to start pursuing an electrical license as well. My question is, will my B.S. count as 4 years of experience toward the electrical license as it did toward the mechanical? I'm from California so I need at total of 6 years. I've pasted below the relevant section of the FAQ's posted on the state website. It however doesn't address this question. Does anybody know the answer? Thanks!

Capture1235.JPG

Source: http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/faq_eng.pdf

I would just apply to the board with your existing degree and experience and they'll tell you if you don't qualify to sit for the exam you are considering (or will ask for more info). Electrical and mechanical are pretty different so they might. If you had a chemical engineering degree and wanted to take mechanical thermal and fluids or systems and materials, for example, there most likely wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call and ask. Judging from your citation, it doesn't look like it requires area specific for the ABET requirement but asking the board directly would confirm that applying for it won't be a waste of time or money.

Thank you very much CAPLS, that is the answer to my question. So it looks like my B.S. would qualify as 4 years towards an electrical license, but the work experience that I used to qualify for the mechanical test would not.

Back