List ALL Your References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LWhitson2

Reaction score
Just as the title says, list all the references you took with you for the exam as well as which exam you took.

Mechanical: Thermal and Fluids

1. NCEES FE Reference Manual (2014)

2. Lindeburgh ME Reference Manual (2014)

3. Moran and Shapiro Intro to Thermodynamics, Tables Supplement (6th Edition)

4. Fox and McDonald Intro to Fluids (4th Edition)

I only needed two:

Also Fluids

1. Mr Bostons Bar Tending Guide 2012

2. Playboy, March 2013

I had the quadratic equation tattooed on the back of my hand. That's it. Although I can see why Playboy March 2013 would have been helpful, but considering I took the exam in 2008 it wasn't available.

Wow, I wish I could say my references were that few...

For the Civil Transportation exam, I took with me:

1. Civil Engineering Reference Manual 13th edition <--- Barely used for my exam

2. EET breadth and depth binders <--- Heavily used

3. 2012 MUTCD with revisions 1 and 2

4. AASHTO GDHS (green book) 6th edition

5. AASHTO Roadside Design Guide 4th edition

6. AASHTO Highway Safety Manual 1st edition

7. 2010 Highway Capacity Manual

My suitcase was so big!

EDITED to bold the references I used the most. The MUTCD was useful but not as critical as all the other references.

Last edited by a moderator:
I brought a backpack and a plastic file box with lid. I probably brought more than most MEs and probably brought too much, but honestly I did not want to say...**** if only I brought such and such which is sitting on the kitchen table or shelf at work.

ME Thermal Fluids Depth:

I used these guys a lot and they stayed on the desk at all times:

1) MERM12

2) Spiral Bound - MERM12 Index with copies of various charts and tables that I commonly used during studying.

3) Dr. Toms exam day companion, and my own 1 page summary equation sheets

4) Keenan and Keyes Steam Tables (English)

These were helpful and I used them sparingly (maybe once or twice)

5) Machinery's Handbook

6) 2008 FE Reference Handbook

7) Binders of course notes and solved problems

I brought these but never used them (although I did use some of the charts from them which were compiled in #2)

8) ASHREA Fundamentals 2001

9) Crane TP 410 (used the charts and tables especially moody)

10) Cameron Hydraulics

11) Mark's Handbook

12) ASME data book

13)Dictionary

14) practice problem workbooks (SMS T/F and M/S, NCEES sample exam, and MERM12 practice problems)

^^^ not sure I would have used it. I wrote the common ones down in my equation sheets (although honestly I pretty much have them memorized by this point)...didn't really think I would have the need to convert gpm into hogsheads per fortnight.

I was the guy with the hand truck and 4 Bankers boxes

1. EET AM/PM Binders

2. CERM 10th Edition

3. All in One

4. HCM

5. Green Book

6. RDG

7. MEPDG

8. AASHTO Ped Book

9. ADA

10. Principles of Highway Engineering and Traffic Analysis

11. NCEES Practice Exams (2011 and 2014)

12. Materials for Civil and Construction Engineers

13. Construction Means and Methods

14. Geotechnical Engineering

15. Geotechnical and Foundation Engineering

16. Stormwater Conveyance Modeling and Design

17. TR-55

18. CPESC Review Manual

19. 6MS - All of them

20. Goswami Practice Exams

21. Dictionary of Civil, Water Resources, and Environmental Engineering

22. Steel Manual

23. Structural Analysis

24. Standard Handbook for Civil Engineers

25. Highway Safety Manual

26. Lindeburg Engineering Conversion book

27. FE Reference Manual

28. Surveying

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the Lindeburg easier to use than turning to the MERM. It was also useful in a couple questions where the standard conversions weren't sufficient.

I found the Lindeburg easier to use than turning to the MERM. It was also useful in a couple questions where the standard conversions weren't sufficient.
Most of those I use on a regular basis, i.e., gallons to cubic feet, horsepower to watts, kWh to BTU, in Hg to PSI, etc., so other than keying in a number incorrectly once, I didn't have much need to look at the conversions.

Most of those I use on a regular basis, i.e., gallons to cubic feet, horsepower to watts, kWh to BTU, in Hg to PSI, etc., so other than keying in a number incorrectly once, I didn't have much need to look at the conversions.
Those are all standard conversions. Without violating the nondisclosure I can only say that I came across questions where the Lindeburg manual was very helpful.

why all the Civil and Mechanical folks use their CERM or MERM but our power by the same publisher is a piece of ****?

why all the Civil and Mechanical folks use their CERM or MERM but our power by the same publisher is a piece of ****?

+1. Wish I didn't buy the EPRM new. I suppose I used it a couple times for the exam, but overall it's an overpriced piece of junk.

Back