Construction Book for the morning PE exam (Reccomendation needed)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ric809

Reaction score
Failed the exam for the second time around (very sad) with a 32 in the afternoon Transportation exam this past October. I only made a 52 total points and got only one correct answer in the morning construction portion. I am terrible at estimating costs and quantites and my brain freezes up to these problems which contribute tremendously to me failing this darn exam. I can't afford to let this happens for a tird time.

Could someone recommend a construction textbook or reference book (apart from CERM) that has many quantiy estimating and costs-take offs problems and a little scheduling problems, Cost estimating for material amount for buildings, walls and any of the likes, that could better prepare me for the next PE morning construction exam. Most people find the afternoon harder than the morning but I am the toal opposite as I work in Transportation and it's second nature (sorta).

NCEES doe not make any recommendation for the morning PE construction problems, but I would assume that it is very easy for the construction afternoon folks, as would the Transportation morning is to us Transportation folks.

I have heard mixed reviews on the Ruwan book. Some find it helpful while others say it only covers what's already in the CERM. Might be worth looking into.

Shahin Mansour, PhD, PE has a construction module package. It's a study guide with DVD's. It helped me pass. It's perfect. It lacks calculations on cranes though.

I was going to keep it because I highlighted and tabbed it, but I can sell it to you if you want. Or you check him out google.

How much are you selling the highlighted copy for? I am only intersted in the morning AM construction module (DVD and manual) that he has on his website for sale. P Let me know your price so I could compare it to getting it new from him. Does the guide has a lot of quantity take off, estimating quatities, CPM on it? Please email me at [email protected]

Ruwan books are not perfect, but are definitely worth getting and studying.

Have you considered another field..........only one right in the morning!!?? How is that even possible, its pretty easy stuff

^^^ Construction is part of EVERY civil exam morning session. Only way to not deal with the construction part would be to switch to Mechanical or Electrical...

Back