$100k

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone making $100k

• 10 yrs experience

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • 10- 20 yrs

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • + 20 yrs

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

buddingpe

Reaction score
Anyone with Enviro PE making in 6 digits?

Wanted to know if its worthwhile to stay in Engineering/ Technical field?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are deciding on a field, you want to do some technology forecasting. What is hot today may not be hot tomorrow as candidates flock to that field in school. A lot of fields go through cycles, and technology leaps that require changing number of expertise.

If you want people to vote in your poll, you might consider making the results anonymous...

I make fatty money because I'm a PE, but since I don't do environmental I won't answer the poll...

I don't like the public poll, either.

The only Enviros I know making more than 6 figures are fairly senior federal employees (GS 13 or above) and senior consultants, or engineers working in high cost of living locations (what's the point in that, anyway).

For those engineers, I think the crossover into 6 digits occurs somewhere in the 10 to 20 year range, probably closer to 20.

The important thing to note is that it's not just a longevity/seniority thing. Those engineers making 6 figures are usually pretty good ones who have made a reputation for themselves and have taken on a lot more responsibility than the average engineer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know they are out there, they most likely don't frequent a sight for new and aspiring PE's thought... Here is a link I found to search federal employee salaries. This is the result page after search parameter : environmental engineer

/>http://php.app.com/fed_employees/results.php?name=&agency_name=%25&job_title=ENVIRONMENTAL+ENGINEERING&statename=%25&countyname=%25&Submit=Search

Its only a 2008 data set but Im sure there is more current data if I took the time to search more.

That website's kind of creepy. I know public expenditures are public information, although I am not sure if there are privacy rights when it comes to individual employee compensation information. Still, pretty creepy to think someone could find your salary at the tip of their fingers on the internet, and then target you for theft/fraud/whatever.

But yes, you proved exactly what I said - hit GS13 or higher, and spend some time in service, and you can break 100k in the federal government (and a lot of other industries, too).

I forgot I could edit this poll with my super moderator powers.

Poll is edited to no longer be public, so maybe some lucky, fatty money enviro type will vote now.

"

Perhaps 75,000 dollars is a threshold beyond which further increase in income no longer improve individuals' ability to do what matters most to their emotional well-being"

I call bullshit on that one! I could maybe see that... if you put a 1 in front of it!

Did the article really qualify whether or not it was individual income or household? Seemed like it was individual income. $75K for a single person's salary would be pretty darn good...

I've seen several similar articles stating that ~$75k is the point of "happiness." I think alot of that is tied to the fact that those who tend to make more end up being very career driven and those who make less are stressed over being able to provide for themselves (and their family). Consequently both ends end up very stressed and overworked, and tend to neglect some of the "little things" in life that are natural stress relievers.

I definitely agree VT, that it could vary with where you live, but it's an average.

I was just thinking about it from a purely mathematical standpoint...assuming a 28% tax rate that nets about $4500/month, then say you follow the ~30% rule for your rent/mortgage, that's about $1350 to $1500/month rent (that's probably a pretty nice apartment or condo), $700/month for utilities including a cell phone, $300/month for insurance, that leaves you $2000+/month in dispoable income...it's not a glamorous lifestyle, but chances are if you want to go out once in while, or splurge on that nice bottle of scotch, it's not going to hurt very much. Add a spouse and two kids to that income, your definitely on a tighter budget...

Motivated people usually don't have salary with which they would be "happy." You should always strive to maximize your salary.

I'm living comfortably with what I make now, but I'd be happier with my compensation if it were higher. I don't need more money to make me generally happy. But much less would definitely make me more miserable (just having to worry about paying the bills will automatically make you less happy).

Back