so what's everyone's job?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Design and Draw up plans for something that will not be built according to those plans
Agree. I also waste tax payer money by being directed to do everything as inefficiently as possible, therefore loaded with mistakes, who no one is responsible for, which is then passed on to the Contractor, who wastes more tax payer money trying to fix the problem (or causes more mistakes)...and the best part of it is that no one wants to try anything new to change this. Sorry...little vent. Little teeny tiny vent.

yo. POed where you been?

I see you're still POed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for a consulting firm. Right now I am in the crude refining industry, but I cross between that, Coal Fired Boilers, Gas/Oil Fired Boilers, Chemical Plants, and Industrial Boilers.

Duties are: Project Management (but have never been given the actual position), Lead Stress Engineer, Project Engineer, Drafter, Piping Designer, and Spec Writer.

I have spent about 70% of my time in the field. For the last year it has been 100%

:angry: regulator...
Regulators - we regulate any stealing of his property, and we **** good too. But you can't be any geek off the street, gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep!

REGULATORS!!! MOUNT UP!

Concrete Quality Control Engineer is the title. Work for a concrete producer and design mixes, analyze aggregates, try to optimize our materials, review specs, etc. Nothing too exciting but I get involved in different aspects of the construction industry so it's OK.

My role has been so diluted, I don't even know anymore.

My title is "Reliability Engineer", but I do fewer proactive and more reactive activities with our power plants (gas / steam turbines and HRSGs). I also serve as contract administrator for GE.

Power Quality Engineer.

Here is how it works. Customers complain about loosing power, I start an investigation checking feeder alarms, work orders at the operations center, and voltage readings in the area at the times of the "outages". If necessary will install a PQ meter( nothing than a volt recorder with a few more gadgets) just to tell the costumer that they loose power because a storm. Sometimes will find interesting stuff like a feeder breaker with a bad control relay, the THD is too high (total harmonic distortion), their new chillers are too sensitive to voltage fluctuations, and/or there are fecking branches in the feeder.

It is not boring at all. I am asking myself why did not do this crossover earlier in my career.

Instrumentation engineer.

I design gas analyzers, thermocouple/thermistor based measurement devices, dataloggers, etc. Occasionally, I'll delve into controls, but not often. Day to day work is mostly a combination of embedded and application level programming, circuit board layout and design, and analyzing data that we've logged during our gas experiments.

I supervise a group of construction managers in a very busy government office. I was described as a shepherd yesterday. That's pretty accurate.

Edit: new job

I'm now a mech engineer working for a design and fabrication company. We get to do a lot of fun small projects to large ones, and usually see everything being built on the floor. I love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm only an intern, but I worked at GM. I counted how many dies were sitting in the yard and scrapped a few(nearly 1 million pounds worth). And there are still a few hundred more. They offered me a job for next summer. Being GM, they probably lost the file and want me to count them up again.

And right now I'm working at this Dr. Suess designed maze of pipes that Marathon calls an "oil refinery."

I just had an interview for an intern position in the product design department at Ford, I told the interviewer I would like to be working with the Mustang. He said, "Vehicle Dynamic testing on the Boss 302?" "Yessir!"

Back