Survey Pipe slope Problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superman2011

Reaction score
I wanted to know if slope of a pipe is given with direction, does that mean the pipe slopes down in that direction? Even if the slope is not shown as negative, do we still assume its negative? :construction:

Typically I would assume it is negative (downward) slope. Unless it was a forcemain (pumped sewerline) which flows positive vs. negative.

I wanted to know if slope of a pipe is given with direction, does that mean the pipe slopes down in that direction? Even if the slope is not shown as negative, do we still assume its negative? :construction:

If I understand your question correctly (I wasn't sure what you meant by "given with direction"), then yes, a given slope will always be down. Especially for gravity systems (like sewer or storm drain which is what you're likely to find on the survey exam). So, if the statement said something like: the drainage pipe sloped from station 0+00 to 1+00 at 2%, then that would mean 2% down (the IE at Sta 1+00 is lower than at 0+00).

Back