Pipe Stress Engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAPE/SMOTT PE

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Anyone here do pipe stress work?

I'm looking at the possibility of being trained, and getting into this area.

SMOTT I did pipe stress/pipe flexibility work for 6 years. Feel free to ask questions on here or PM me.

I got out of that industry about 1-1/2 years ago but not much has changed in that time.

Ah, ok. I'm looking at going back to doing mechanical work, and out of the project work. I feel like a high paid secretary where I am right now. Not liking it as much.

Pipe flex analyses are very interesting, particularly if you're responsible for developing a system from preliminary through detail design.

I found pipe flex to be very rewarding design engineering and definitely highly technical on more complicated piping systems.

CAESAR II is one of the most widely used pipe flex analysis software in the industry. It's marketed by COADE/Intergraph located in TX. They run a week long seminar on using the software. It's a good starting point for pipe flex basics and getting used to the software. Another plus is that it's about 32 PDHs toward your PE renewal.

Yes, we are using Caesar. We have a senior stress engineer who is looking to retire in about two years. I requested to have the opportunity to train with him before he leaves. I feel more suited to technical roles, and I have always been interested in this type work.

Like I said, no offense to anyone doing this type work, but as a project person in an alliance where I am the contractor....I feel like just a high paid secretary to serve the client. Been doing it about two years, and I just don't find it fulfilling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck. It's an exciting opportunity.

If you're looking for reference material, Pipe Stress Engineering by Peng is the Bible of pipe stress. There are also some design papers by Markl that are a bit dated now but still good.

I second Ram here. I've used Caesar as well on high pressure steam piping projects. I start by adding expansion loops using a sliding expansion loop tool that I got from a vendor and then check the whole system with Caesar.

I have a high temperature hot water system to design. I'll be using Caesar for that one. I'll check out the Peng reference.

i did pipe stress engineering for 8 years, almost exclusively B31.1 and Section I boiler piping in Caesar II. i agree with Ramnares it's fun and rewarding work. i miss it. haven't done it since i took a position with a different company as a Project Engineer. good luck getting into it SMOTT.

Pipe flex analyses are very interesting, particularly if you're responsible for developing a system from preliminary through detail design.

I found pipe flex to be very rewarding design engineering and definitely highly technical on more complicated piping systems.

CAESAR II is one of the most widely used pipe flex analysis soSucks!are in the industry. It's marketed by COADE/Intergraph located in TX. They run a week long seminar on using the soSucks!are. It's a good starting point for pipe flex basics and getting used to the soSucks!are. Another plus is that it's about 32 PDHs toward your PE renewal.
Hmm just noticed that the word s o f t w a r e keeps getting edited to this...interesting.

I believe you can thank Fox for that...
Negative red leader. Thank you very little...
Stay on target!

JwYMTa9.png

Back