Interviewing soon

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HITMANVQ35

Reaction score
I'm going in for my first interview with an MEP firm this week and I am kinda nervous.

Any words of wisdom and encouragement will be appreciated

Just try and appear as relaxed and confident as you can be. You know what you do well, and what you can't do well. Emphasize the good, downplay the bad. The rest is up to them.

Good advice .. as well as .. play it straight! :)

I have an interview for early December ... good luck to both of us! :D

JR

I'm going in for my first interview with an MEP firm this week and I am kinda nervous.Any words of wisdom and encouragement will be appreciated

My advice is to learn everything you possibly can about the company you are interviewing with. It will show through during the interview.

Learn who their customers are, what their philosophy is, mission, vision etc. Look up some of their latest projects and be prepared to discuss them.

We had a person interview at my company awhile back, and the major reason he wasn't hired was because he didn't know anything about our company.

Good luck!

show up early and use their facilities before the interview to wash your hands and check yourself out in the mirror. You don't want clamy hands or boogers. Research more then just the company, but if you know the name of the person who will be interviewing you, find out what you can about them from professional connection sites. Remember that you are there to display your best qualities, not only your smarts but your personality as well.

Invest the money in getting your resume professionally printed if you can't print it yourself on a laser printer... and purchase a few covers for it. I got some for my interview at Kinkos for like 50 cents each.

Relax, be yourself and on last thing. You are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you. prepare a list of questions so at the end if they ask you if you have any, you can glance over the list (serves two purposes... first your questions get answered, second, if they cover everything before you can ask, it shows that you thought things out and that looks good)

Good luck! Also, I did an internet search the day or two before my interview for "interview tips" that's where I got a lot of the stuff above... it's pretty generic but I got the job I was trying to get, so hopefully it will help!

prepare a list of questions so at the end if they ask you if you have any, you can glance over the list (serves two purposes... first your questions get answered, second, if they cover everything before you can ask, it shows that you thought things out and that looks good)
I actually had an engineering manager call out an HR person for me during one of my interviews. I had a list of questions, and instead of waiting until the end of the interview to ask them, I sprinkled them in when they were topical in the conversation. At the end of the interview, the HR lady asked me if I had any questions, and I said "Not any more". Then the engineering manager piped up and said "He's been asking questions the whole time!". The way he said it was kinda funny, and the HR lady apologized for asking me. I didn't really mind her asking, and I felt the interview as a whole went well...I'd just never had somebody go to bat for me DURING an interview.

Make sure youre shoes are shined. Try to relax, you know you know your stuff.

We will be rooting for you Hitman. Good luck!

Back