IBC- looking up tables in 2012 using references from old versions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steenwm

Reaction score
Hello,

Am using the Hiner Seismic Design Review workbook to prepare for the Seismic exam this April. Unfortunately version of IBC for test is 2012, but Hiner book uses 2009 IBC references. In most cases I've been able to figure it out, and just hand annotate the hiner book with the current references. But am having trouble finding the WSP diaphragm shear capacities...

Example: Hiner references IBC 2009 Table 2306.2.1 (1) or (2), however in the 2012 IBC, these tables only give staple spacing, not nails?

Can I just use the NDS tables instead? (Table A.4.2A Nominal Unit Shear Capacities for Zood-Frame Plywood Diaphragms)

Times like this I wish ICC had made an online database where you could type in the code ref or table number from an older version, and it would give you the ref for the current version (if unchanged).

Thanks in advance!

steen,

This exam is too important to be cheap and not buy the latest version of the Seismic study workbook which references the current codes (and this is coming from a cheap person ;) ). Instead of trying to cross-reference old tables with new, I'd strongly recommend you just buy the latest Seismic design workbook. Here is a link to the latest Hiner workbook as you mentioned. And you can also consider Dr. Ibrahim's workbook too - he's really good.

What he said ^ ^

Don't be cheap and jeorpardize your chance of passing the PE. Even the tables look the same, there are some R and Cd or strength factors minor change that may affect your answers. Have your company pay for the lastest code and tell them its required to pass PE.

^^ I concur with Lungshen. I was working old sample exam problems with the new ASCE 7-10 code... I was getting the wrong answer because R values and Cd values have changed.... I then went back and used ASCE7-05 values and go the right answer.... Do keep that in mind...

If you want to be cheap... you can also find the new ASCE 7 in pdf form and print out chapters 11,12,13,15... and a few others I think like 17, and 22.

Back