Susan Frey Masonry Problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McEngr

Reaction score
Has anyone gone through the vertical portion masonry problems from the Kaplan review course? I've noticed a few typos/errors that I wanted to confirm.

Thanks.

The column problem and the slender wall problem have a few errors. Message me and I will show you where.

P/A for the masonry column on the front page should read 28k in lieu of 94.9k. Also, the slender wall example has 1345# calculated for the wall load, but states 1354# in the equation. It's inconsequential to the problem, but good to know.

Overall, I'm happy with Susan Frey's worked problems. She's a Mathcad fan I guess. Makes it a bit confusing at times because not every equation is linked in the logic.

I have come to the conclusion that James Amrhein's 6th edition is far superior to Susan Frey's handouts. If one is just trying to learn the basics, Amrhein's is the way to go. If you're wanting to take your design to the next level, Susan Frey's handouts will get you there.

Back