Breadth Exam-Structural Syllabus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

june

Reaction score
Among all the morning topics, I am the weakest in structural engineering. Can someone please let me know if it is enough to just cover structural analysis. Do I need to study the design part, I can never understand it. which chapters of CERM would suffice. Please help.

The advice I was given was to focus on shear-moment diagrams, simple truss problems, and basically those mechanics of materials and loadings items listed on the NCEES syllabus. I too am dreading this portion of the AM exam but have focused on these areas mentioned to boost my confidence to offset the lack of it for any design related items. It is doubtful we will have any pure design problems since the AM portion of this exam can be done using only the CERM for reference. Further, looking at the 2008 and 2011 NCEES sample problems further enforce this theme.

One of the most consistent items in the exit polls of candidates after the Civil PE is that Structural AM questions were a very pleasant surprise - especially for those who consider it to be a great weakness. Do not waste time on concrete design, steel design etc.

Hooke's law, axial and bending stress, simple 2d structures (for reactions etc.), truss member force, shear moment diagrams - these topics should cover 7 if not 8 questions.

Thank you all for your insight and wisdom, I'm putting together my study plan for this October and this is definitely one of the topics that makes my skin crawl!

Back