D for a masonry shear wall

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hank89

Reaction score
What are you guys using for d or d sub v for the shear stress of a masonry wall. fv = V/(b*d sub v)?

SERM and 2006 structural seismic uses the total wall width. (d sub v)

Susan Frey and an old NCEES Structural II practice exam use d (depth to reinforcing)

Thanks!

Yeah, based on the MSJC commentary to section 2.3.5, I agree with the latter. Although shear is resisted either by masonry or by steel, not both in combination, the reminder that a wall subject to in-plane flexure assumes the tension side is cracked. So even when ignoring the horiz bars for shear strength, the effective depth should still be closely approximated by depth of reinforcement, since that is approximately the depth between tension cracks where masonry is available to resist the shear.

Additionally, note that the MSJC explicitly uses the d term, not dv, in the shear stress calc (even though it does define dv in the notation section).

Either way, the difference is fairly minimal unless the wall is not long, so I'd err on the side of being slightly conservative and using the reinforcement depth.

Trust Sue Frey
This may very well be the best advice ever given in reference to masonry design. I took the Kaplan review course and I am absolutely in awe of Sue Frey. If I were anywhere near where she teaches, I would take every class she taught.

Back