April 2012 CA-Survey Exam cancelled statewide?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting the Pels website info. I didnt even check there first and checked here instead. Actually wasnt even expecting them to put up anything for at least a day. Not that this was terribly informative.

I'm also doubting that they will reschedule within a week. Test of this scale can't be planned and executed in that short term. More like 3-4 months would be my guess.

wow. this really sucks.. the time i am finally ready for this beast, it get's cancelled..

I agree that the secuirty breach implies that someone got hold of the test, and transfers the blame from the board who carelessly misprinted.That is such a stupid mistake, and I hope it does cost some people their jobs. Mistakes of this scale shouldn't be happening. They affect 1000s of people. I really do feel bad for people who book hotels and come from far away and their employers only reimburse if they pass...

I really don't think they will be able to reschedule and I am betting that we are going to be taking it in October. If the exam has to be adminstered at the same time at all locations; it means that the state has to arrange locations again. From what I understand, most of the locations are non-state owned, and there are probably agreements in place that allow only usage certain times, etc etc, Then they need to prepare, print, notify,arrange proctors, and then be sure they are graded in time for people who don't pass to register for the following test.. Even now, they barely make it to the registration deadline...

Big mess up.It would have been somewhat dismissable, had it been some time of a security breach, but negligence. unexcusable. .

Perhaps they'll convert to computer based testing (CBT) like the Land Surveyor test. There are dedicated CBT sites all over the state and you can schedule testing within weeks.

wow. this really sucks.. the time i am finally ready for this beast, it get's cancelled..

I agree that the secuirty breach implies that someone got hold of the test, and transfers the blame from the board who carelessly misprinted.That is such a stupid mistake, and I hope it does cost some people their jobs.

Big mess up.It would have been somewhat dismissable, had it been some time of a security breach, but negligence. unexcusable. .
It won't cost anyone their job, aren't they state employees?

At any rate, it's inexcusable. It think I'm more PO'd at the way they are trying to cover it as a "security" problem.

I agree that the secuirty breach implies that someone got hold of the test, and transfers the blame from the board who carelessly misprinted.That is such a stupid mistake, and I hope it does cost some people their jobs. Mistakes of this scale shouldn't be happening. They affect 1000s of people. I really do feel bad for people who book hotels and come from far away and their employers only reimburse if they pass...

I really don't think they will be able to reschedule and I am betting that we are going to be taking it in October. If the exam has to be adminstered at the same time at all locations; it means that the state has to arrange locations again. .
They could make special arrangements in any number of locations and/or rent out an empty business suites on short notice. But my hunch is they will not go out of their way to right this wrong.

Someone is telling me that there's no rescheduling. But to compensate for the incredible inconvenience, the CA survey requirement for the PE, for the april 2012 cycle, is absolved. Anybody else heard this?

Someone is telling me that there's no rescheduling. But to compensate for the incredible inconvenience, the CA survey requirement for the PE, for the april 2012 cycle, is absolved. Anybody else heard this?
Would be too nice but also unfair for other candidates. Anything would work out better than Oct 2012

Can you clarify where you heard this? Seems far fetched.

This is a legal requirement by the state that engineers must pass this test. I do not see how they can simply wave that.

In Pomona we hadn't even received our test booklets. I called pels and they told me absolutely no refunds. They even had the nerve to ask if I was taking other exams and I asked why that mattered. They said I would have to be there anyway so no reimbursements. I said that I only studied for this subject, took two extra days off to ensure I was ready not including two days off for actual exam. So here I am...4 days unpaid for work, down the gas money for a two hour drive, down the parking fees, basically down over everything. I paid $ for the surveying exam that I didn't get leaving the rest of my time wasted and pointless and not to mention now I'm broke! They have nerve to talk to me that way. I paid for three tests not two! So reimburse me a prorated rate for the third test! They are lucky people don't sue for damages. Not to mention the time wasted studying; especially if there is no guarantee of another test anytime soon. People forget things after a while. Plus we need the time to find out our results and they don't give us enough notification to prepare again anyway. And they acted like I was a piece of dirt they were brushing off their shoulder. No regard for how devestating his could be for people. I havent seen my sick father, why? Because I have been nose down in my surveying review book. I they don't schedule it in a week, two at the most, they might as well just dig a hole and push us in as if they haven't all ready. Thanks CA. For wasting 3 months of my life and countless dollars. It would help if you told the truth on your website too.

Yeh, there are legal requirement that I doubt the Board will just forgo this easy.. Sounds like wishful thinking to me.. lol.

App: $275

Work: $1056 (might get reimbursed for half)

Parking: $10

Gas: $16

Time: 3 months

If I had known I could have studied for another section and had a chance of not wasting everything.

I've been crying all day.

It can't be postponed until Oct!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mf_argue: :beat: :madgo: :hang:

In Pomona we hadn't even received our test booklets. I called pels and they told me absolutely no refunds. They even had the nerve to ask if I was taking other exams and I asked why that mattered. They said I would have to be there anyway so no reimbursements. I said that I only studied for this subject, took two extra days off to ensure I was ready not including two days off for actual exam. So here I am...4 days unpaid for work, down the gas money for a two hour drive, down the parking fees, basically down over everything. I paid $ for the surveying exam that I didn't get leaving the rest of my time wasted and pointless and not to mention now I'm broke! They have nerve to talk to me that way. I paid for three tests not two! So reimburse me a prorated rate for the third test! They are lucky people don't sue for damages. Not to mention the time wasted studying; especially if there is no guarantee of another test anytime soon. People forget things after a while. Plus we need the time to find out our results and they don't give us enough notification to prepare again anyway. And they acted like I was a piece of dirt they were brushing off their shoulder. No regard for how devestating his could be for people. I havent seen my sick father, why? Because I have been nose down in my surveying review book. I they don't schedule it in a week, two at the most, they might as well just dig a hole and push us in as if they haven't all ready. Thanks CA. For wasting 3 months of my life and countless dollars. It would help if you told the truth on your website too.

That really really sucks Mnt. I totally feel for you and everyone else. Like you, I only studied for (and passed) one exam at a time. I would be devastated if this had happened to me. My friend, as well, was only concentrating on Survey for this administration. This is really a bummer. A mistake of this magnitude, of such importance, affecting so many people, should not have happened, period. And then to lie about it on the website - just terrible. I really hope I am wrong but I have a bad feeling there will be no make-up exam. I think you guys will have to wait until October. I think they'll keep a "reschedule" message up on the website for as long as they can and then eventually remove it and stay quiet and, if asked, they'll probably respond that the October exam is "only" 3,4 months away. Sorry guys! :(

the state wide cancellation of surveying exam is an event that has not occured in 30 years . What type of error could have caused such failure ?

A random error

B systematic error

C Blunder ( someone was smoking opium while printing )

D neither error nor blunder ... Just for the hell of it !

the state should pass all who applied to take the test in april 2012 .. Somebody needs to be liable for this blunder . After all , we prepared and showed up and they did not ...Money, time and effort lost for nothing? wasnt there a breach of contract ?

i dont feel like i should wait till october ! I am prepared to take this stupid test now!

I sat in the Sacramento location waiting, next to a guy who flew from Connecticut to take only the CA surveying exam. don't know what the Board do with these guys.

jf

Just imagine the people who flew in to California just to take this exam.

This is just crazy.

Back