Anyone used Norman Voight's Transportation Depth Reference manual?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angecal20

Reaction score
I plan on taking the Civil PE and doing Transportation for the depth portion. I was able to borrow and copy portions of the AASHTO green book, MUTCD, HCM from a friend who actually works in transportation. I recently looked on PPI's website and found a Transportation Reference Manual and i'm considering buying it instead of buying each of the other separate references since I don't work in transportation and don't think I will find much use of them after the exam.

Has anyone used this manual before and would you recommend it?

http://ppi2pass.com/...-exam-cetr.html

I'm curious about this book (and the other PPI depth-specific) books too. It might be too new and not that many people have bought/used it yet. My first thought is that it might be nice to have a separate book just for the afternoon/depth topic. The other part of me can't help but think this is just PPI's way of getting more money from us. The CERM has never been advertised as a morning/breadth book only but I guess they are saying it is since they now offer afternoon-specific books. For years people have passed the exam with only the CERM and the required NCEES references (HCM, AASHTO, MUTCD, etc.) (as did I). The CERM contains transportation afternoon-only topics. So what does this new depth-specific Transpo book have? PPI is getting so commercial, it's hard to trust them anymore when they tell us we 'need' this book. It might be a great book and I'd be very interested in hearing some reviews.

Anyway, good luck ange!

I just can't imagine one book having all the afternoon information of a Green book, highway capacity manual, roadside design guide etc... I don't think I would get the book.

Thank you both for your insight :D The reason why I'm considering buying it is because I don't work in transportation, so in order for me to have all the reference manuals listed for the exam, I would be looking at spending at a minimum $500, and after the exam I don't see myself using them on a daily basis to justify the cost. The book costs just over 100, and it's supposed to include copies of all the tables and reference manuals needed for the Transportation Depth portion. Last time I took the exam I only had copies of portion of the AASHTO green book, MUTCD and HCM and found out the hard way, that I didn't get ALL the sections/chapters I needed in the exam. I barely failed (53 out of 70), so i don't want to take any chances on missing out on 1 problem because it could be the one to get me over the hump and get me my PE :dancingnaughty:

if anyone has used it or has any other useful materials for reference for the afternoon depth portion and don't mind sharing, I really appreciate it.

~Ange :D

Thank you both for your insight :D The reason why I'm considering buying it is because I don't work in transportation, so in order for me to have all the reference manuals listed for the exam, I would be looking at spending at a minimum $500, and after the exam I don't see myself using them on a daily basis to justify the cost. The book costs just over 100, and it's supposed to include copies of all the tables and reference manuals needed for the Transportation Depth portion. Last time I took the exam I only had copies of portion of the AASHTO green book, MUTCD and HCM and found out the hard way, that I didn't get ALL the sections/chapters I needed in the exam. I barely failed (53 out of 70), so i don't want to take any chances on missing out on 1 problem because it could be the one to get me over the hump and get me my PE :dancingnaughty:

if anyone has used it or has any other useful materials for reference for the afternoon depth portion and don't mind sharing, I really appreciate it.

~Ange :D

Ange,

Does the PPI Transpo depth book actually claim that it is a substitute for the other NCEES-listed references? If that's truly the case, then, yes, it might make sense for you to buy it. But I suspect you might still need to obtain the other references (just guessing). If money is tight, you can get away with only buying the HCM, the AASHTO 'Green Book' and the MUTCD (free download). Also, remember anything you buy, you can probably sell for no less than a 20% loss. You're real close, I believe you'll nail it next time. Good luck.

Thanks to my office's very complete library I can borrow any books, codes I need for the exam, but, because I already had the experience of dealing with one-too-many materials during the exam day (afternoon part) I decided to order Voigt's Transp depth reference manual in hopes to save time finding information. I'm at home studying hard this weekend, and, decided to give a shoot to the "school of PE" transportation sample questions using only the books I have at home: CERM, Voigt's, James T. Ball's Transportation Engineering PE Exam Depth guide, and an old HIghway Engineering Handbook. I already have a long list of things I cannot do because I don't have the Green Book or the Traffic Engineering Handbook ITE with me. So, don't rely in the books mentioned before, do all possible to bring the all the NCEES's recommended reference codes.

Good luck everyone, do not give up! we are almost there.

Back