Transportation Depth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackgatorman

Reaction score
Hi all - I will be sitting for the October exam (2 weeks, wow). Anyway, I have gone through the six minute solutions (all the breadth and transportation depth), the transportation NCEES sample exam. I have been reading, tabbing and everything else under the sun, including taking a review class. So, as we are now 2 weeks out, I am wondering what else I can do to really hammer down the depth, especially some of the more obscure subjects. I guess I mean things that are a little bit more obscure to me, like traffic signals (i assume timing?), intersection analysis, and planning. Going through all of those practice problems, there really has not been great coverage of these types of problems. So, can anyone provide insight as to what would be the best way to prepare for these types of questions (without any details about actual exam questions, blah, blah, blah)? Sorry for the long post. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Have a good grasp of capacity analysis questions that involve queuing and density. Public transit questions may come up which usually involves acceleration/deceleration (i.e. commuter trains travelling between stations), but that would only involve the standard distance/velocity equations when given acceleration rates. There may a few qualitative questions about planning, but hopefully you'll manage your time accordingly to look them up in any of the standard planning/design manuals. As for intersection analyses, you can be asked a question that would entail the calculating through vehicle equivalent values based on number of left turn vehicles with respect to the oncoming through traffic volume. Other intersection calculations could include saturation flow rates and cycle lengths, but if these topics are alien to you, then don't spend a lot of time to become an expert.

Good luck!

Nothing much you can do to what you have done already. Keep working problems and prepare yourself for trick questions, confused units (I mean read very careful what units asked and the wording of the question). I think the result depends of your ability to take the test, quick reaction and thinking. My coworker almost didn't study, and had no knowledge of basic transportation and water recourses topics. And she passed. I studied like crazy and didn't pass. It is how you can handle the test and concentrate.

Good luck.

go through the NCEES list of the Transportation PM section and make sure you have done at least a couple of problems for everything mentioned, mass haul diagrams, roadway hydrology, etc

Hi all - I will be sitting for the October exam (2 weeks, wow). Anyway, I have gone through the six minute solutions (all the breadth and transportation depth), the transportation NCEES sample exam. I have been reading, tabbing and everything else under the sun, including taking a review class. So, as we are now 2 weeks out, I am wondering what else I can do to really hammer down the depth, especially some of the more obscure subjects. I guess I mean things that are a little bit more obscure to me, like traffic signals (i assume timing?), intersection analysis, and planning. Going through all of those practice problems, there really has not been great coverage of these types of problems. So, can anyone provide insight as to what would be the best way to prepare for these types of questions (without any details about actual exam questions, blah, blah, blah)? Sorry for the long post. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jack, it sounds like you will pass. I wouldn't worry too much at this point. It sounds like you 'got it'. If I can give you some advice of what to do in these final days is: know the MUTCD (and probably the AASHTO books) subject content inside and out. And I don't mean memorizing details, I just mean scan the books and TOCs and indexes so that you know which book covers which topic and even which chapter you saw it in so that you can flip to it quickly on the exam. I remember a few questions that were answered from the MUTCD about a topic no one would be able to answer from memory but, if you know where to go, there's your answer in b&w. Good luck!

Back