Reservoir to Get Drained After Teen Pees in Water

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJmike PE

Game Czar
Reaction score
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/portland-reservoir-be-drained-after-teen-pees-water-n82901

Peeved Portland, Ore., officials plan to drain millions of gallons of treated drinking water from a city reservoir after a teenager was caught on surveillance cameras taking a brazen bathroom break.

Nineteen-year-old Trey Michael McDaniel was captured urinating through the iron fence at the Mount Tabor Reservoir just after 1 a.m. Wednesday, police and water bureau officials said.

The unsavory act has prompted officials to decide to flush 38 million gallons of drinking water — or the equivalent of 57 Olympic-sized swimming pools. Generally, urine in such a large volume of treated water poses little risk to the public, and even animals are known to answer the call of nature into the reservoir, which gets its water from the Bull Run watershed.
How is this even something that would be traceable. Get a grip people.

wait. Why do that have treated water being stored in an open area like that anyway. There is likely more bird poop in that water then there is human piss.

wait. Why do that have treated water being stored in an open area like that anyway. There is likely more bird poop in that water then there is human piss.
It's probably not treated (yet); it's where natural sources are gathered for future distribution. Which makes this even sillier.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably not treated (yet); it's where runoff is gathered for future distribution. Which makes this even sillier.
That's what I thought at first, but the article says:

officials plan to drain millions of gallons of treated drinking water from a city reservoir after a teenager was caught on surveillance cameras taking a brazen bathroom break.
However, we all know how accurate the media can be.

exactly. It's not treated. It's the same as when they refer to concrete as cement. Dummies

exactly. It's not treated. It's the same as when they refer to concrete as cement. Dummies
We talk to the media a lot via press releases and phone interviews. It's amazing how the reported still messes up important details even when you spell it out for them in writing.

I just did an interview yesterday. The reporter asked about the flexi-floats being moved into position. I explained they were for access to certain points on the river.

The headline for the article today is " Bridge to be built off barges"

Hmmnnn

Hmm. The article I'd read (yesterday) didn't state it was treated, but from what I'm seeing elsewhere it apparently is. That's bizarre to me.

Does this reservoir have fish in it? If so, you know what they're doing in there. Just like a bear in the woods. Speaking of bears, are there any doing what they do in the woods where the water comes from in the first place?

Oregon- that's where people from Boulder go when they feel Boulder isn't Eco-smug-liberal-elitist enough for them...

Oregon- that's where people from Boulder go when they feel Boulder isn't Eco-smug-liberal-elitist enough for them...
Actually, Oregon has quite a large conservative population. It's really only Portland and Eugene that are Eco-smug-liberal, and neither is "elitist" so much as they are "hippy" or "yuppie".

Seattle, on the other hand...

According to the news report, there is no treatment between the reservoir and the tap.

If I had to guess, this is only being done due to the public perception. If they didn't have the guy on video plastered all over the news, it would have been business as usual.

View attachment 9216

Back