PE Scoring

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onetoedsloth

Reaction score
I am having trouble with the PE exam. Took the exam last fall did not study and scored a 68 and achieved 57% of the questions correctly. Studied hard and retook the exam and scored a 66 while achieving 60.6% correct answers. Statistically I should have passed using the same curve basis of the previous exam.

Do repeat takers have a more limited curve than first time takers of the exam?

Does the curve change from exam to exam?

Does any first time taker that did not pass have a the percent correct to final score to compare?

Last edited by a moderator:
passing score changes from exam to exam based on the questions and really the people taking the test that sitting...some questions might get thrown out if found to flawed.

As my understanding that for the PE passing score that we should get 70% correct of the questions and that should give us overall score 70 or 70+. However try to score 80% above correct of the questions while uring your study.

One of my friend told me days after the exam that he thing he score -->

PE 100% 50% 0%

Morning 15 5 20

Afternoon 25 5 10

Let's do simple math that we know he might passed ---->

40 question is 100%.

let's assuming he get 5 questions correct for the 50%,

let's assuming he quess all 40 question for the 0% (should get 1/4 correct = 10 questions correct)

Totoal score is 55/80 = 68.75% ((((Remeber this percentage is just assuming)))

However, he passed the PE and I assume that he did guessing few more question right in the 0% questions he answered....

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be better served by searching for a number of discussions on this topic in various threads. Let's first get a myth out of the way, the score of 70 is not the percentage of questions you need to answer correct.

70 is just a number based on a minimum competency as determined by the test makers. This score is dependent on the number of questions answered correctly out of the total number of questions considered for scoring that particular exam. Theoretically, you can answer 60/80 questions correct and still fail if the passing score was determined to be 61/80 (which is then equated to a score of 70).

The passing score differs for every exam and every subject area.

Read this and you will get a better idea,

http://www.ncees.org/exams/scoring/scoring....php#difficulty

CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE ONES WHO PASSED THE OCT. 2009!! I PASS THE TEST FINALLY.... AFTER 6 TIMES!! :party-smiley-048:

I am having trouble with the PE exam. Took the exam last fall did not study and scored a 68 and achieved 57% of the questions correctly. Studied hard and retook the exam and scored a 66 while achieving 60.6% correct answers. Statistically I should have passed using the same curve basis of the previous exam.

Does any first time taker that did not pass have a the percent correct to final score to compare?
Remember also that sometimes they remove few questions from grades due to problems found. Also the % of questions you need to get right varies for each exam depending on level of difficulty. Both this factor account for this difference.

Remember also that sometimes they remove few questions from grades due to problems found. Also the % of questions you need to get right varies for each exam depending on level of difficulty. Both this factor account for this difference.
My question has always been is the 70 equivalent to 70% in the easy simple way ? Cause alot of people were saying that this 70 is more of a grade than a percentage.

Seriously, I will now chalk this one (the way to figure out passing score) up as difficult (continuum mechanic-ish), and just a tad below quantum mechanics! Those of you figured this out, you need to pat yourself in the back, if you can reach it.

it is definitely not percentage.. from what i have heard, it u score about 60% on the exam, there is a 95+% probability of u passing the exam, but again depends on the difficulty of the subject area u chose. Its all subjective as lot of people have said, in a way similar to EIT. Some of my friends passed EIT though they were not even confident on attempting 50% of the test correctly. Black-box of NCEES.

Glad someone agrees with me. I was 6 years removed from school and doing problems I hadn't seen since Sophmore year. I was scrambling on most of them. I would assume that since they don't discuss questions or post solutions that no one ever knows how many they threw out every year.

Back