Chevy Volt to get 230 mpg

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll believe it when it is actually tested on the road by the real people driving.

I've always sort of wondered how much the house power bill goes up when you plug an electric car in to charge. are you really saving a whole lot?

Snick, I saw in another article that they were expecting a full recharge to cost 40 cents. Seems awful low to me. That's about 4 kW/hrs around here, if I remember my rate structure right.

I'll believe it when it is actually tested on the road by the real people driving.
I've always sort of wondered how much the house power bill goes up when you plug an electric car in to charge. are you really saving a whole lot?
IMO, it's not about saving the individual any money (but if it did, would be a bonus). It's more about reducing dependence on oil (both foreign & domestic).

Turns out they are calling for 25kW/h for 100 miles. That'd be 2.50 where I live. But since my commute is 25 miles, call it 60 cents per day.

That'd save me less than 2.00/day at current prices. I couldn't justify a purchase of this car, though it is cool.

It's all about the money to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out they are calling for 25kW/h for 100 miles. That'd be 2.50 where I live. But since my commute is 25 miles, call it 60 cents per day.
That'd save me less than 2.00/day at current prices. I couldn't justify a purchase of this car, though it is cool.

It's all about the money to me.
It would pay for itself in a mere 55 years!

^ If the idea is to reduce dependence on foreign oil, it doesn't much matter. We aren't importing coal. If they're claiming zero emissions, that's a different story.

^ If the idea is to reduce dependence on foreign oil, it doesn't much matter. We aren't importing coal. If they're claiming zero emissions, that's a different story.
It's all just a shuffle of resources. All will eventually come back and bite us in the butt. Great we aren't importing oil, but then the domestic issues are then front and center...vicious cycle.

I'm willing to bet the initiative has more to do with the latter than the former.

It's the unending search for the free lunch. In the 70s, nuclear power was touted as being "too cheap to meter". Didn't quite work out that way.

GM already killed one electric car and I bet they kill this one too. I'm too skeptical because electric cars kick so much ass.

Too bad the car will cost $40K, but hopefully the costs will fall and the tech will trickle down.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124998537270122333.html

Way to go GM! Now use the mileage offset to bring the Z28 to market.

Henderson conceded the cost of building a Volt will be expensive, about $40,000 per vehicle
$40k is how much it COSTS GM to make the car...I'm sure the cost to the consumer will be higher than that.

Wasn't the EV1 lease only? I seem to remember GM sending the repo man after some so they could be crushed.
Rose-Hulman had an EV1 while I was there for research. I'm not sure if they ever did anything with it. Every time I saw it, it was parked in the same room collecting dust.

Wasn't the EV1 lease only? I seem to remember GM sending the repo man after some so they could be crushed.
It was lease only in Cali and Arizona. GM estimated the 80K sales price (which I'm betting was far less than they cost to build) early in the program.

They were all taken back at the end of the leases and, except for a few, crushed due to legal concerns.

The Wikipedia article answers a bunch of EV1 questions...

The GM EV1 was an electric car produced and leased by the General Motors Corporation from 1996 to 1999.[1] It was the first mass-produced electric vehicle of the modern era from a major automaker. It was the first GM car designed to be an electric vehicle from the outset. Born as the GM Impact concept car of 1990, a production version came about as a result of a California Air Resources Board mandate that made the production and sale of zero-emission vehicles a requirement for the U.S.'s seven major automakers to sell cars in that state. The EV1 was initially available in the U.S. cities of Los Angeles, California and Phoenix and Tucson, in Arizona, under a limited lease-only agreement.[2] EV1 lessees were officially participants in a "real-world engineering evaluation" undertaken by GM's Advanced Technology Vehicles group, as well as a market analysis and study into the feasibility of producing and marketing a commuter electric vehicle in select U.S. markets.[3][4] The cars were not available for purchase, and could be serviced only at designated Saturn dealerships. Within a year of the car's release, leasing programs were also launched in San Francisco and Sacramento, California, along with a limited program in Georgia.
While customer reaction to the EV1 was positive, GM viewed the program as evidence that electric cars occupied an unprofitable niche of the automobile market, evidenced by their ability to lease only 800 units in face of production costs of US$1 billion over four years.[5] An alliance of the major automakers fought the CARB regulation in court, resulting in a slackening of the ZEV stipulation, permitting the companies to produce super-low-emissions vehicles, natural gas vehicles, and hybrid cars in place of pure electrics. The EV1 program was subsequently discontinued in 2002, and all cars on the road were repossessed. Lessees were not given the option to purchase their cars from GM, which cited parts, service, and liability regulations.[1] All repossessed EV1s were crushed, save for a select few examples which were delivered to museums and educational institutes with their electric powertrains deactivated, and under the agreement that the cars were not to be reactivated and driven on the road. The car's discontinuation remains controversial, with electric car enthusiasts and environmental interest groups accusing GM of self-sabotaging its electric car program due to its negative profitability, while also blaming the oil industry for conspiring to keep electric cars off the road.[1]

In 2008, amidst an automotive industry crisis due to rising fuel prices and the global financial crisis, GM's Chevrolet division presented the production version of a new electric vehicle, the Volt plug-in hybrid, with the promise that it would be available for sale beginning in 2010.[6] The Volt, a four-seat compact car (in contrast to the EV1's two seats) will be capable of driving under fully electric power for 40 miles before its range-extending gasoline-powered generator is activated, about a third of the range that the final generation of EV1s were capable of driving under optimal conditions.

Back