EIT results - failed again really frustrated - need help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fall2004us

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I am really frustrated and started hating myself

this is my 5th attempt, I was very confident that I could pass this time, first two attempts I didnt prepare well, after that I started taking it seriously, this time I worked out lot of problems, followed the free videos posted on texas a & m university, just got the results with a regret note.

BTW I live in california, this state is probably worst when it comes to giving out the results, the delay was horrible. I also sent my applications for PE for this fall, the deadline was last week, EIT results came after a week, I had to pay $275, board might refund half the fee. I was so confident about passing EIT and I had formed a study group for PE with my friends, I wont be able to join that group.

I am really wondering if I have to take the EIT one more time ? I might enter into the guiness book of world records for failing EIT so many times. I have been out of college almost 10 years now. I dont know what to do.

Please give me any valuable advices and let me know if there are other people like me who have failed EIT so many times. :sharkattack:

thanks,

fall2004us

a review class could be helpful. I did that and passed the first time after an excessively long part-time college career that ended about 10 years prior to taking the exam. I had to relearn topics I hadn't seen for 20 years.

If you care to, you can take both exams together. I've heard of people who passed both and people who passed the PE before the FE.

Good luck!

a review class could be helpful. I did that and passed the first time after an excessively long part-time college career that ended about 10 years prior to taking the exam. I had to relearn topics I hadn't seen for 20 years.
If you care to, you can take both exams together. I've heard of people who passed both and people who passed the PE before the FE.

Good luck!
Hi CivE Bricky, thanks for your advice....

Hi fall2004us,

I failed the FE the first time I took it. The second time to prepare, I literally ripped apart the FE study manual. I ripped each chapter out from the book. I carried each chapter with me, until I completed all of the problems from each chapter every chance I got -- early in the morning before work, during breaks, during lunch, a few minutes before I left work. This helped me become intimately familiar and built more confidence for the test.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need any help. It's been a while for me on the topics, but there are many here who are way more knowledgeable and can help you.

rudy.

Hey Fall2004. I'm about to take the FE exam for the fourth time. You're not alone and you shouldn't feel bad. It happens. The most important thing to do is NOT GIVE UP. We have a lot of cocky people at my job who rubbed in the fact that they passed and I was down and out for a few days following. But I realized that it's not about them; it's a personal goal and something that I must achieve for me and myself only. I'm taking the exam this October and hoping to rip it to shreds. You can do it also. Study like an animal, develop a mantra, train everyday like a boxer preparing for the highlight fight of his career. Attack as many problems as you can without burning yourself out.

As an aside, I know a former classmate who failed the FE exam 4 times and passed on the 5th, but passed the PE the very first time he took it. There's a lot to be learned from our ordeals here. Just remember that we're all in this together. Go buy yourself another (different) FE study guide and practice some new problems. Make sure you do every problem, ESPECIALLY the ones you hate. Don't skip anything, and pay attention to the fundamentals.

With all these things said, let's make the most out of the weeks ahead and annihilate this thing come October 24th!

Another option to consider is that some states allow you to by-pass the EIT exam and replace it with experience. IIRC, in colorado you can take the PE exam without the EIT after 8 years of experience once you have your degree. You have indicated that you have been out of school for over 10 years now, so this may become a possibility.

Only downside to this is that some states won't let you gain reciprocity (transfer the PE to another state) if you go this route.

Hi rudy, jharris and Dexman1349

thanks for all the advice and postitive responses

jharris, I really appreciate your postivie response and motivation.

Will study hard and totally dedicate and crack the EIT.

thanks guys

I am right there with you guys. This is my 3rd time. I have been through the FERM twice and the TAMU review course. I am working through more practice problems online and reviewing alot. It is hard to find time to study. This time seems even harder, but I am doing the best I can. Trying to get up early this time around and study and really grasp the fundamentals. It doesn't matter how many times you take all that matters is you pass. Most on the Engineers I work with and for failed at least once. Two have failed 3 times and passed on there fourth. I have a buddy who took it his 8th time last time I took mine, so don't give up. Chin up and plow thru till October and know we are not alone.

i suggest taking a long, hot shower, summiting the highest area in your vicinity and allowing waves of a beautiful sunset to irradiate your skin, freeze time by staring into your lover's eyes, realizing that you just might, luckily enough, be naturally inefficient for the mundane, cntrl-c, alt-e-s-v ubiquitous requisites for an engineer. i am fully aware of the emotional responses that may eventuate, however, consideration of why fe/pe tests are fundamental requirements of practicing engineers within our society should be considered. i firmly abide with the fact that if an individual fails, most notably in numerous attempts, to succeed in examination which verifies the competence of that individual in performing a certain task in society, then he/she should refrain from attempting to pursue a profession in that specific area.

i suggest taking a long, hot shower, summiting the highest area in your vicinity and allowing waves of a beautiful sunset to irradiate your skin, freeze time by staring into your lover's eyes, realizing that you just might, luckily enough, be naturally inefficient for the mundane, cntrl-c, alt-e-s-v ubiquitous requisites for an engineer. i am fully aware of the emotional responses that may eventuate, however, consideration of why fe/pe tests are fundamental requirements of practicing engineers within our society should be considered. i firmly abide with the fact that if an individual fails, most notably in numerous attempts, to succeed in examination which verifies the competence of that individual in performing a certain task in society, then he/she should refrain from attempting to pursue a profession in that specific area.
You think that you are too smart.......why the f*** are u visiting this board and giving **#@#@ advices

Go get a life you loser....

Wow.

Tell me, how does it feel to go through life without any sexual organs?

I took the FE 6 years out of school, studied using the Lenberg FE manual, took the general afternoon and failed. My approach going into taking the general was that I could focus the time on the general and not split my study time into a discipline specific section for the afternoon. Needless to say, the afternoon was ridiculous and had never seen probably 25% of the problems in the Lenberg FE manual. I simply figured out that I had no business taking the afternoon general when I didn't possess the in depth knowledge to get through the electrical and thermo sections. After some convincing, my wife signed me up for the School of PE civil review course. The course was painful doing it on the weekends but I focused on working the civil problems, figuring that it wouldn't be a waste and would take the FE civil afternoon and then upon passing go for the PE. Needless to the say, I crushed the after civil afternoon. The similarity in the problems was stunning. It put me over the top and I passed. I recommend the School of PE civil for the FE civil (you can't go wrong). My buddy used the same approach and passed in April. Good luck.

fall2004us,

I agree with the advice given above. I went to Kinko's and had the FERM split and bound into 6 or 7 thin, easy to carry sections. Then I was able to carry one with me most of the time, and study when I had a free moment.

I would also recommend a review course. I took one given at a local university. It was expensive and didn't cover every subject, but I was able to get a general idea of what the exam was like and what I needed to know to pass it. I know people who went with the Testmasters course and recommend it, but I understand it is very intensive (few 8-hour sessions) and you'll get the most out of it if you know the material and just need to acquire speed and problem-solving skills. Online courses don't work as well for me.

Finally, after you have studied you need to work many (hundreds?) of problems.

Good luck and don't give up.

Graduated July/August '07 - after retaking basic Hydraulics to raise my GPA enough to get my diploma.

April '08 - first time. Had just taken a job in Atlanta, GA (I lived 2 hours west of Chicago) at the end of January. Had to fly back to Chicago & drive to Peoria, IL to take the test since Georgia does not proctor exams (I went to school at Bradley University in Peoria). Needless to say, I failed. I did not prepare anywhere near enough.

April '09 - Heavily researched calculators before settling on the Casio 115es. I started seriously studying early February (FERM-Lindberg) and signed up for an online review course for $700 (School of PE) after all the classroom in-person courses (Test Masters, School of PE) canceled due to poor enrollment.

8 hours of review (8 AM-5PM with lunch break) every Saturday starting 02/28 to 05/05, 5 hours of review Sundays.

For math & stats, very often I would do the same problem twice, once by hand and a second by calculator. I read and highlighted both of the Casio's manuals.

I tooks problems with me to work; during boring meetings I derived formulas and procedures, during the days I was on a construction site with nothing to do I did practice problems from FERM and School of PE and I carried my big ass backpack with me EVERYWHERE including doctors appointments (sometimes I just took a review book, notebook & calculator). I had a copy of "Essential Mathematics for Engineer's" that I used to supplement the FERM's lack of calculus examples.

I took the week of the test off from work, studying at my apartment Mon & Tues. Wednesday, I drove 2 hours to a hotel not far from the testing site and crammed until Friday night - literally reviewing a couple of sections I had neglected last minute, at which point I set 8 alarms after laying out a plethora of test snacks and coffee.

I passed.

Honest to god, I was convinced I failed (I even started reviewing for Calculus in June). I got all discombobulated during the morning session (too much caffeine) and left 3 problems blank on the answer sheet. Afternoon session was much harder but it felt easier (oxymoron), probably because after feeling so dejected after the morning session I said "F*** it", and calmed down.

When I heard the results were available online (for Georgia anyway), I immediately did a search for my name. I must've reloaded the page 5 times and quit/reopened the browser twice. I went home and did the same procedure, figuring if I got the piece of paper confirming it in the mail (with no "BS" stamp on it), then I was secure enough to tell people.

So here I am. In short, you can pass this P.O.S. - and I am a terrible problem-based test taker (I can memorize words easy but get flustered with problems).

Be prepared to sever yourself from society for a few months, & good luck. If you've got any questions, shoot me a PM.

I am right there with you guys. This is my 3rd time. I have been through the FERM twice and the TAMU review course. I am working through more practice problems online and reviewing alot. It is hard to find time to study. This time seems even harder, but I am doing the best I can. Trying to get up early this time around and study and really grasp the fundamentals. It doesn't matter how many times you take all that matters is you pass. Most on the Engineers I work with and for failed at least once. Two have failed 3 times and passed on there fourth. I have a buddy who took it his 8th time last time I took mine, so don't give up. Chin up and plow thru till October and know we are not alone.
Hi,this is gonna be my third time also. Would you know how many times board allow to fail? Can I take test as many times as I want? Thanks. I'm taking multiple test on eitexam.com also plus addtional with FERM test book.

Hi,this is gonna be my third time also. Would you know how many times board allow to fail? Can I take test as many times as I want? Thanks. I'm taking multiple test on eitexam.com also plus addtional with FERM test book.
Depends on the state. In Maryland, you have to sit for two years after three failures. I failed three times in MD, but am able to take the test in Delaware because the two year rule is a state rule, not a NCEES rule. Check with your state board.

Depends on the state. In Maryland, you have to sit for two years after three failures. I failed three times in MD, but am able to take the test in Delaware because the two year rule is a state rule, not a NCEES rule. Check with your state board.
I'm in Massachusetts. Someone know from Massahusetts? Thanks in advance.

Back