100 things your kids may never know about

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my favorite:

30. Blowing the dust out of a NES cartridge in the hopes that it’ll load this time

:eek:ld-025:

I love #36.

I used to use Mosaic all of the time when no one knew about the internet!!

Those bring back a lot of memories for me and I don't really consider myself old. I have to agree with Roadwreck about blowing out the Nintendo cartridges as the most memorable for me. I spent many hours in front of my 13" tv in my room playing super mario bros!

SCSI drives at #27. Ah, I remember my old P-120 processor with my blistering fast SCSI drives!

Still have the nES and fully plan on unpacking it once the baby's here.
we still have ours. It's at my parents house, it's hooked up and still works!

maybe I should add NES to the list of things that stand the test of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotary dial televisions with no remote control. You know, the ones where the kids were the remote control.
I seriously believe this is the reason for the lower birthrate nowadays.

There were a couple of those that I think were spot on.

I still remember having the computer games that were larger than the one disk (I think one disk was 148kb or so) and you would get to one part of the game and it would pause, spit out the disk and then have you put in the other disk, only to get to the next part where you had to put disk 1 back in.

I still look at 900 KB files as big but then have to stop myself realizing that a digital image is about 1MB. Affording a RAM upgrade is one I still remember from college.

I remember my brother, sister and I trying to convince my parents to get us a Nintendo for Christmas one year. They had already been out for a year or two. My parents gave us a really hard time about it and tried to make us feel bad because our ATARI 2600 was still in great shape (we had that from when it first came out). Years of pong! My parents still have and play the original Nintendo to this day. My brother and sister each now have the wii. I am still trying to convice my wife that we should have at least enough cable tv to get versus (we now have rabbit ears connected to a converter box).

Those are all pretty good.

Here are some others...

Adjusting a rotary housetop TV Antenna to get the station to come in clearer.

Using an overhead projector - making overheads

Being able to pick your car lock EASY with a coat hanger when you lock your keys inside.

Running through the clouds behind the trucks carrying DDT the cities used to spray mosquitos

Telling everyone to shut up so you could hear the game on the AM radio

I like #95.

For most transactions I use cash for budgeting reasons (once its gone, its gone). At bestbuy the cashier rang up the game purchased and kept staring at her computer screen while I held out $50. She said my card didn't go through so I cleared my throat. Noticing the cash she gave me a funny look; like I was paying with shiny rocks or stock certificates.

That spawned a conversation and it appears less than 10% at bestbuy pay with cash; at least in this cashier's opinion.

PS. I almost exclusively use joysticks for gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
How 'bout knowing how to spell the word "know"...

j/k

I especially can relate to the blowing in the NES cartridge. I wore out my old TechmoBowl video game. I loved the cross-route that Jerry Rice made unstoppable and I loved playing defense with LT. Ahhh the days of TechmoBowl tourneys. Sweet notalgia.

How 'bout knowing how to spell the word "know"...
Ha, I just noticed that and was debating whether or not to mention it. I was going to let it go, I make to many mistakes of my own to be the grammar police.

Running through the clouds behind the trucks carrying DDT the cities used to spray mosquitos
We used to ride our bikes in those clouds.

Re: the floppies - I have some old data which I've copied, first from big floppies to small ones, then to tape, then to CDs, now stored on external USB hard drives - It's 20+ years old at this point. I'm gonna see how long I can keep it 'alive'.

Re: vinly records - these have made a kind of comback on the eclectic arts scene. My daughter has a vintage record player (a gift from her b/f) and she buys vinyl records now and again.

I especially like 100. Geek is the new cool-nerd, or at least in my own mind...

I loved "Remembering Someone's Phone Number"

I used to have so many stored in the old head, but at about 24 got a cell phone (1999) now I remember about 3, my own and my parents (cause it is the same from childhood).

My girlfriend and I have been together for 5 years, and I would really have to think to remember her number.

I probably make at least 1 misspell every single post - not to mention this one. LOL!

We used to ride our bikes in those clouds.

Re: the floppies - I have some old data which I've copied, first from big floppies to small ones, then to tape, then to CDs, now stored on external USB hard drives - It's 20+ years old at this point. I'm gonna see how long I can keep it 'alive'.

Re: vinly records - these have made a kind of comback on the eclectic arts scene. My daughter has a vintage record player (a gift from her b/f) and she buys vinyl records now and again.
Man to think I am some how "ecelectic" or "arty" I just like the sound of vinyl, I don't know something about seems more authentic. But it is not really practical, my Ipod has like a week of music on it.

Back