Products/Brands that stand the test of time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
There are some products/brands that I've bought for a long time, and never really thought about it. For example:

Reeboks-I've owned a pair of Reeboks since 1985. not the same pair, but when the old ones wear out, I inevitable get a new pair. they are comfortable and last quite a long time.

Timex Ironman-I've worn digital watches since 1978, but have worn Ironman watches and their offshoots (Triathalon, Expedition, etc) since 1987. They are rugged, reliable, and have stayed the same price (@30 bucks) since I started buying them. I really like the Indiglo displays that came out in the 90s.

Bic Pens-These things are cheap, cheap, cheap, but danged if they don't last a long time. The clear ones look really cool, too.

That's just a few off the top of my head.

How 'bout y'all?

I'm typically too cheap to be brand centric.

I will go with whatever is on sale, or the best deal in most cases.

There are however (once you're burned) brands that I vowed to NEVER USE AGAIN!!!

ie. Compaq

Pentel mechanical pencils. I still have the same one's I've had since high school, and they weren't new then. They still look exactly the same too. I can go buy a brand new one today and it would look no different then they did 15 years ago.

http://www.pentel.com/catalog_product.php?id=761

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm kind of a milk snob. Its always been deans or fieldcrest milk, but I can't get either down here. I've tried every brand the stores in the area carry and walmart brand is closest I can get but even then it isn't as good.

Pentel mechanical pencils. I still have the same one's I've had since high school, and they weren't new then. They still look exactly the same too. I can go buy a brand new one today and it would look no different then they did 15 years ago.
http://www.pentel.com/catalog_product.php?id=761
Funny you mention that. I used them back in college, but now I uses those Papermate click mechanical pencils. I have them scattered all over the house.

Levi's jeans-Tried other brands, but always come back to levi's. They wear well, they're frequently on sale, and I know the size that'll fit without having to try them on.

Reeboks-I've owned a pair of Reeboks since 1985. not the same pair, but when the old ones wear out, I inevitable get a new pair. they are comfortable and last quite a long time.
I'm the same way, except with Adidas tennis shoes.

I'm also pretty loyal to Apple iPods and laptops.

There are however (once you're burned) brands that I vowed to NEVER USE AGAIN!!!
ie. Compaq
I have a LOT more of these than I do brands that I am loyal to. For instance, Acer, Sony, Bose, and Kodak (digital...their 35mm stuff was good).

There are only a few things that are really product-staples in my life... in no particular order...

New Balance shoes... currently 473's... but black with minimal grey/silver/white.......

Q-tips... the cheap ones are like sticking a piece of wood in your ear... so we have to buy the real deal...

Wrangler jeans... dunno, they just work... I'm a boring person...

Pop-tarts.... no question... store brands always suck...

I think Bose is overpriced, same thing with Apple PCs (although I do like my iPod touch I got for free)
Bose is overpriced, overhyped crap. Apple is overpriced, overhyped...but still really cool stuff. I say as long as they keep innovating and making products that kick ass in every way, shape, and form, their price and hype are justified.

Heinz ketchup.

And Ultra Charmin toilet paper.

And Liz Claiborne clothes, but not as much lately.

^^Yup.. Heinz and only Heinz... but when you live a stone's throw from Pittsburgh, is there anything else??

Peter Pan Peanut Butter
Salmonella be damned.
Same here.... but with JIF.... and not that crunchy bullshit either... considering I've had pb&j almost everyday for lunch for the last 15-20 years, I've gone though alot of jars of JIF.... (why pay $5-10 everyday for lunch when you can buy a loaf of bread for $2 that lasts for 2 wks or so and a jar of peanut butter that'll last the month or so for $4... and jelly that'll do the same for about $3......)

I figure by now, my immune system can handle salmonella LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Fruit of the Loom Black Pocket Tees. I own at least 6 of them.

Miller welding equipment. Getting ready to drop $3500 on a new one.

Back